CHAPTER 20

2-4

The House of Ende were once direct vassals to the House of Montchat.

However, their time as direct subjects came to an end long ago. Back during the age where Sonnenlicht was constantly at war with its neighbours, the Montchat family had played a shadowy and enigmatic role in service of the crown, with the Ende family as their aides.

These days, however, the Ende family are functionally independent from the Montchat. Although it was small, the Ende family did hold some territory of its own and used that land to launch their own enterprise, no longer relying on the financial support of the Dukes of Montchat.

Still, the Ende family keeps the old traditions they held with the Montchat family alive. Ende family members are often sent to work for the Montchat lords. But now it was for the sake of a business relationship, not any sort of inter-familial intimacy. It had been a practice for many years of the Ende house to send younger family members to be servants or attendants at the Montchat manor.

"Because the Ende family are such big names when it comes to magical research, they can't be neglected as business partners."

After they returned to his office, Alois said that with a sigh of resignation.

As he slumped down in his custom-built desk chair, designed to hold his weight, his clothes were damp with sweat. As Camilla glared daggers at him, the sweating didn't stop as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

When Camilla sat in the small chair in front of the desk, she simply scowled at him in silence with her arms crossed. She did nothing but breathe deeply, keeping her tongue behind her teeth. Still, even Alois felt a little cowed by that intense aura of intimidation.

The rivalry between Liselotte and Camilla over the Prince's love had become a full-blown disturbance. Camilla, the daughter of Count Storm, had been defeated, in the process becoming a vilified person throughout the capital. Nevertheless, the exporting business of Count Storm couldn't be cast aside so easily, especially since his territory's signature brand of wine was deeply popular.

Business links between families were like that. No matter how hated Camilla herself might become, no one was ever going to go after her family when their own profits would suffer for it. The trust built up over generations of cordial business relationships weren't bonds that could be shattered so easily. The Storm family's business still seems to be going strong... She had learned that from the dribs and drabs of news that found their way to this land. This year's vintage actually enjoyed more success than the previous year's.

To damage or potentially sever relations with the Ende family, a partnership going back generations, all solely for the sake of Camilla? As a duke, Alois couldn't take such a rash and self-destructive action like that. To weigh Camilla against an entire house, it was as clear as day which relationship was more important.

Not to mention, until very recently, Alois himself didn't exactly have a good impression of Camilla. He had tried to keep her placated at first, but they had finally come to an understanding, so at the very least that was a step forward?

"In the Ende family, children born with strong magical powers are relatively common. Their magic is also incredibly useful for finding new manastone deposits. In exchange for preferential rates on manastone prices, they exchange with us a member of their family... That's how it has always been between us."

That's how Nicole came to be here. Even if she might not be skilled, she should be useful for her high magical energy alone. A person with large amounts of magical power is much more sensitive to the flow of naturally occurring magic in the miasma.