CHAPTER 24

2-8

It wasn't real. She knew that.

Nicole had just been standing in front of her. As she felt that strong release of magical power, even the ungifted Camilla could understand it. She had used magic. And with that magic, Nicole was showing Camilla an illusion.

Yet, her heart still ached.

Yet, her feet were still frozen in place.

"...Camilla."

It was Prince Julian's voice.

"Camilla, I was wrong. Please forgive me."

With Prince Julian's voice, that figure of his drew ever closer to Camilla.

Camilla unintentionally pulled back. Her shoulders had stiffened up and her breath had become short. She had to calm down. Yet, even as she thought that, her mind began to cloud over.

She had always been watching Prince Julian from a distance. The opportunities she had just to talk to him were her joy. Whenever it seemed like he barely remembered Camilla, it had hurt. Yet despite that, she hadn't given up, using all the power available to her to get near to him and eventually she was happy that he remembered her name.

Then, Liselotte appeared to oppose her and not long after that Prince Julian cast her aside. It had also been Prince Julian who had condemned her to marry Alois, the Lord Montchat.

He and I are the same age. You should have no complaints about his status either. If all you're after is power, then that man should be more than enough for you.

Camilla despaired when he had told her that, his eyes cold as ice. That was the first time she had felt utterly hopeless. Her mind had completely frozen over back then and she couldn't say a word.

Yet, still, Camila is...

"Camilla, you are the only one that I truly love, not Liselotte."

"...Stop it!"

Camilla shouted, holding her head in her hands. After that deep icy cold that had stunned her, the blood rushing to her head gave her back some warmth.

It was thanks to Camilla's pride that she managed to bring her feet forward and stare directly into his eyes. Even when he had ordered her to marry Alois, she had never turned her gaze away. But, she bit her lip.

"Don't say anything more! Why are you doing this!?"

"Camilla."

Prince Julian stepped forward again. Slowly, yet surely, he came closer, step by step.

As he did, he reached out to Camilla's cheek. That thin, slightly bony hand. The hand that had never once touched Camilla, reached forward to stroke her cheek.

Just before it did, a strong hand pulled Camilla away. That hand was big and forceful looking, completely different to Prince Julian's.

"-What are you doing!?"

The man's voice was cold yet strong. A little while ago, she had heard that same man's voice, but it had been weak and despondent. The man who that voice belonged to stood right behind Camilla. His body was huge. As he took a step forward as if to shield Camilla, the ground shook under his feet.

– Lord Alois.

Had he just come across this situation after waking up from his stupour in the courtyard? Or perhaps, did he sense some sort of magic abnormality and race towards it? She could see the sweat rolling down the nape of his neck into his collar underneath his tied back hair.