CHAPTER 27

2 – Final

The next day, Alois paid a rare visit to Camilla's room.

His face looked utterly miserable.

"I heard about everything from Nicole."

As soon as Camilla offered him a seat, Alois gingerly sat on it. The reason he didn't sit down properly is that it would probably break under his weight if he did.

What a shame.

Just as Camilla thought that Alois himself said it.

"I'm utterly ashamed of myself."

"...............What happened?"

When Camilla asked him that, Alois raised his face to look at her. He looked even more defeated than when Nicole had broken the dish the other day.

"You're planning on making Nicole your personal maid, right? You would do that, even though Nicole is still related to the Ende family?"

The House of Ende was the family of Camilla's archrival, Liselotte. What's more, Nicole's imitation had broken Camilla's heart, even if she hadn't really meant to. Yet, despite all that, Camilla still decided to have that girl by her side. Alois himself had trouble understanding it.

"Nicole told me about everything else as well. Her past and her current circumstances. Meanwhile, I've just been pigheaded and obstinate."

"What do you mean?"

This time, it was Camilla's turn to be confused. She had been planning on telling Alois about everything, but it seemed like Nicole beat her to it. Her hair was so badly braided this morning that Nicole must have told him whilst she was busy fixing it herself.

"You ended up getting hurt as well. For doing that, I'll kick them all out. But, even whilst all this was going on, I was feeling so sorry for myself over a dish... I'm so ashamed of myself."

Alois couldn't match Camilla's gaze as he said that. It seems that he's ashamed just talking about how ashamed he is.

"But, that dish was important to you wasn't it, Lord Alois?"

Camilla hadn't truly lost anything. Of course, she had been upset when she saw the illusion of the Prince, but that was it. That dish of Alois' would never return. Even if it wasn't quite the same as her situation, she could still understand his feelings.

"It's not important at all."

Camilla raised her eyebrows in surprise at Alois' blunt reply. Although the expression on his face was still miserable when he looked up at Camilla, he didn't look away.

"It's not an important thing to me at all... Rather, I don't really know if it's important. I don't remember."

"Excuse me?"

She couldn't fathom what Alois was trying to say. After hesitating for a moment as he continued to look at Camilla, Alois continued.

"My parents, you know that they died in an accident, don't you?"

She had heard it before. Alois had only been fifteen at the time. Ever since then, for these past eight years, he has held the reins to power over the vast Duchy of Mohnton

"When it happened, I was there too. Apparently, it was caused by the magic in the overtaxed manastones running rampant. My mother and father both died there, and although I survived, I lost all my memories from before then."

In a single instant, all the memories he had held before that point in time were wiped away.

– He has no memories?