Chapter Fifty Four

Amara's POV

The bullet fired through the gun, the sound radiating off of the air around us.

I put my hand to my chest, feeling for any bullet wound or blood.

But there was nothing. No injury, no blood, I was fine.

I looked up, towards where Mason stood, blood pooling out of his mouth.

I watched as he fell to the ground, the gun clattering to the grass underneath.

He looked up to me, his hands going towards his chest where the bullet pierced through.

"Mason-" I gasped, his lips turning into a sad smile.

"It's okay," he whispered, my body dropping towards his, sobs escaping my mouth.

"I'm sorry," he said, tears pouring from his eyes, "I'm so sorry."

"Please, stay with me," I cried.

Watching him die before my eyes made me regret everything. I no longer cared about the things he's done to me, and how he killed my father.

"Please," I said, my hands holding his head as his bloody hands grabbed onto mine, his eyes frantically searching mine.

"Forgive me," he said, "Please."

I nodded my head, my lip shaking as I looked down at him, his face becoming pale and his hands slipping from mine.

"Mason, no, no, no." I sobbed again, "Stay awake!"

He gave me one last smile, "I love you so much."

He dropped his hands, his head going back towards the ground, and the life leaving his now dull eyes.

"Fuck!" I yelled, crying as I rubbed my thumb against his cheek.

I looked back toward Luca, where he lay on the ground.

I quickly ran to him, holding him up as he groaned.

"I got you, it's okay." I said to him, grabbing the shirt off of my body and wrapping it around his wound.

He grabbed onto my arm, squeezing it in pain, "I know," I said, helping him up and putting his arm around me.

We walked past Mason, and more tears spilled from my eyes.

It needed to be done

I kept telling myself that as we walked up to the door, pulling it open and walking through.

"What the fuck happened," Derek said from in front of us, running to grab onto Luca who groaned again.

"Mason-" I started, "he's gone."

I didn't miss the sadness that formed on his face, and I felt the knot in my stomach tighten in pain.

"He shot himself," I whispered quietly, and he looked at me shocked.

We didn't say anything as we walked up to the main entrance, and Derek called the ambulance.

We set Luca on the couch, his body turning pale from the loss of blood.

"He'll be okay," Alec said from behind me, and when I looked at him, tears stained his cheeks, and his eyes were bloodshot.

"Are you okay?" I asked, looking from Derek to Alec.

Then the moment hit me, harder than watching Mason fall to the ground.

"No-" I whispered, my eyes forming tears once again.

They both nodded, and they walked over to me, ingulfing me in a large hug.

"I knew I shouldn't have left," I sobbed quietly.

"Jack knew what had to be done, he died for his mafia." Derek said, "this is what he wanted."

I sobbed even more, the tears staining Alec's shirt that was in front of me.

We pulled away when the sound of sirens sounded outside the house, the lights flashing through the windows in the dark house.

I watched as they took Luca on a stretcher, the blood pouring out from his body onto the fabric underneath.

And I stood there for awhile, people passing by me to get their things, or the maids that cleaned the house in the morning.

I couldn't bring myself to move.

Derek ordered people to remove Mason's body from the backyard, and he tried to get me to go to the hospital, but I couldn't.

They were both gone

And maybe even Luca too.

I should go and see him, see how he's doing.

But as I stand here, the now dried tears on my dull cheeks, I didn't want to.

I didn't want to watch another person I love die.

So why am I here? Driving to the hospital this very moment?

I don't know.

And I don't know why I walked through the emergency room doors, I don't know why I checked in at the front desk, waiting to be brought to him.

But now I stand here, looking into his room, the familiar empty feeling being brewed inside of me.