CHAPTER 38

3 – 7

Unfortunately, everyone has their limits.

"I have to stay in a place like this!?"

It was the second day of their stay in Einst.

Camilla, who was intending to leave to go along with the consolation visits, yelled that at the servant who was blocking her from exiting through the door.

Alois and his retinue had already departed. Apparently, they had to leave beforehand in order to hold talks or an inspection, something along those lines.

When leaving, she remembered Alois giving her a look she found suspicious. 'I am going ahead, please don't do anything rash' was what he had said to her. Looking back, she realized Alois must have been aware.

Don't get angry, stay calm and think rationally. If something happens, send a messenger. If there are any strange fluctuations in the miasma, leave the town at once and head towards the forest... That was all well and good for him to say. Alois' advice before he departed must have predicted Camilla's current state.

– If you knew that this was going to happen, then why not just take me with you!?

At the very least, if he had warned her properly, she might have been ready to cope with it. Was Alois, one who often kept a wall around himself, still keeping her at a distance? As if he didn't trust her with his true thoughts?

But right now, Alois wasn't the real target of her anger. The two male servants and the older woman standing front and center before her were the bigger nuisances in her mind.

"I came here for a consolatory visit! If I have to stay cooped up here, then what was the point in me even coming!?"

"The people of this town you've come to visit don't know anything about you."

The old woman spoke firmly. She may be leaning heavily on that cane with a hunched back, but it seemed like her mind was still strong. Her wrinkled face looked stern and her grey hair was tightly braided behind her head.

She was one of the most influential people in this town. Her name was Martha ans she was the chief advisor to the mayor. As the younger sister-in-law of the current head of the Meyerheim family,she was also an aunt to Vilmer, the head butler back at the Montchat estate.

"If this was Grenze, then perhaps the people might recognize you. However, this is your first visit to the town of Einst. If a woman who they had never seen before suddenly appeared, the townsfolk may be confused."

"Are you upset because I went to Grenze first!?"

It was utterly unreasonable and narrow-minded. Camilla glared at the old woman as she thought so, but Martha's expression didn't change at all.

"No, not at all, I am merely telling you the facts about how the people in this town feel."

Martha's tone wasn't harsh, but she spoke with an air of indifference. The two manservants flanking her didn't react at all to the conversation, as if they were dolls.

Because of that disquieting attitude, Camilla's anger only grew.

"This town doesn't know you as a person at all. All we know are your circumstances, such as how you were exiled from the capital of the kingdom. Even if the villain who interfered with the love story between Prince Julian and Lady Liselotte came for a consolatory visit, the townsfolk would only distrust you."

"...What did you say?"

"I am trying to explain to you just how you will be seen by the people in this town. That doesn't mean those are my personal feelings. However, the townsfolk here undoubtedly see you as a villainess of sorts. A woman full of base cunning who tormented Lady Liselotte and was exiled from the capital, now using her evil wiles to take advantage of Lord Alois who is still inexperienced around women."