CHAPTER 46

3 – Final (1)

The true scale of the disaster was hard to stomach.

Nearly half of Einst had been virtually reduced to rubble.

Most of the houses in the southern half of town, including many on the main street, had collapsed in on themselves.

Although the damage to the northern part of the town was relatively minor, they couldn't rest easy either. There was no guarantee that there wouldn't be an aftershock or another full-scale magical reaction underground again.

The victims of the disaster, who now found themselves homeless, had erected temporary shelters on the outskirts of town.

In the meantime, the skilled magicians in the town were undertaking a thorough assessment and investigation of the manastone veins running under the town. The rebuilding process for the town could only begin if they judged that it was safe to do so.

"Sorry, I'll be busy with the assessment for some time," Alois had told her apologetically, but she didn't blame him.

Alongside Alois, Camilla too will be staying in Einst for the time being. Even if Camilla didn't have too many skills at her disposal, she was confident that she could at least help with cooking for the people who had lost their homes.

What's more, she wanted to join in the search for those people who were still missing. And for those who had lost their lives, she would offer her prayers.

Yet, putting all that aside.

Camilla had suffered from this disaster in her own way as well.

"...This itch!"

Hugging her body, Camilla felt faint with agony.

She was now paying the price for the way in which she survived that unmitigated disaster the day before.

After crawling her way not just through the dense miasma in the air for hours in those underground tunnels, in addition to being soaked through with liquified miasma, there was no way she was going to get out of it completely unscathed.

Even though the night's sleep she got helped extensively in restoring her exhausted mind and body, the itching started the moment she woke up. She felt irritations all over her skin. Not to mention the rashes that had cropped up all over her arms and around her neck and collarbones.

As much as she tried to hide it with make-up, it was no good. Camilla's favourite cream somehow only increased how itchy she felt when she applied it. She tried to wipe the stains of the miasma off her body with a bath, but the unbearable irritations didn't subside at all. If anything, rubbing at it with the cleaning cloth only increased her agony. The feeling of wearing clothes on her skin was like a living hell.

But since she had only recently rebuked Nicole for doing it before, Camilla's pride wouldn't let her scratch at her skin. Grinding her teeth in frustration, Camilla paced back and forth restlessly.

Camilla was staying in a house on the edge of town. It was one of the buildings that had managed to survive the disaster.

The houses further towards the outskirts of town and closer to the forest had suffered less damage. Since the ground around there had been deemed relatively safe in the aftermath, there were many temporary shelters being built in the surroundings.

Whilst many people were living out of tents, she had been offered exceptional hospitality by the people of Einst and was given that house to stay in after the Montchat mansion in town had been rendered almost derelict.