CHAPTER 54

4 (1) – 3

Klaus Lörrich.

The eldest son of the Lörrich baronial family, the man that Günter had once told Camilla about, the 'Skipping Devil'.

He was twenty years of age. Because of his good looks and easy-going nature, as well as his well-to-do background, he was very popular with the young women who worked in the mansion. However, since the only reason girls ever came all the way to the bowels of the kitchen before Camilla arrived was to look for him, he was detested like a snake in the crib by the other cooks.

But no matter how much he ducked out of work to chase skirts, the other cooks couldn't voice their disgruntlement with him openly.

There were three reasons for that.

The first was that he was the eldest son of Baron Lörrich.

When it came to the servants who directly served in the Montchat household, many of them were linked to those three powerful founding families. And of course, the influence of those families ran very deep in these lands. To put it simply, picking a fight with the man who could one day become the head of the Lörrich family would be setting sail for catastrophe.

The second reason was that the man was a genius.

No one in that kitchen could hold a candle to his raw skill. Not even Günter could match him when it came to baking confectionaries. No matter how much time he spends skipping work or playing with girls, that impressive ability of his didn't fade at all. Compared to the other cooks who devoted themselves all day to their craft, Klaus merely needed to spend a few hours in the kitchen to match their output.

His cooking, of course, tasted excellent. What's more, the presentation of his dishes was both so beautiful and so effortless it bruised the ego of anyone who had to line their food up next to his.

Lastly, Alois favoured him.

The rumours everyone had heard about Klaus, the prodigal son of the Lörrich family, was that his father had grown sick of his attitude and kicked him out of the house in effect, but not in law disinheriting him. Therefore, before Klaus left the Mohnton lands as was once his intention, Alois managed to convince him to work for the Montchat household.

Even after being taken into the Montchat household, Klaus continued his irreverent attitude and didn't show any respect for Alois either, but Alois never seemed to mind. No matter how many people spoke into his ear about Klaus' unbelievable attitude, Alois kept him in his job.

Was it purely because he was addicted to the taste of Klaus' baking and sweets? That was the rumour going around, at least.

On the top of the biscuits that Klaus had baked, he decorated them with a frosting made from egg whites and sugar.

Red, blue, white and yellow. He drew vibrantly coloured petals, overlapping the colours in perfect contrast. The petals were traced onto the biscuits in wonderful multicoloured layers that made them look like real flowers.

Rather than a patisserie frosting a baked treat, it was more like an artist painting on a canvas. Even the most minute detail was exquisitely expressed with rich colour.

"Beautiful, huh?"

Catching Camilla staring gobsmacked at his work, Klaus grinned. With a boastful smirk on his face, he held up a cookie decorated with immaculately realized white flowers.

"This is one of Blume's specialities. The Sehnsucht flower, ever heard of it?"

"Not at all."

Looking closely, those white flowers were mixed with a slight hint of red. The petals were thin and rounded at the ends. They gave off a beautiful, yet fragile impression.