Chapter 2

"How often do people see gods or goddesses?" I asked Roy as I followed closely behind him down the bustling dirt street.

We were walking down the streets of Cairo and people were staring at me in amazement. Many, mostly children, were pointing at my blonde hair and blue eyes. "Hardly ever. That's why we're going straight to the palace. We don't know who's out here," he answered as his dark eyes casually narrowed against the falling sun.

My eyes widened and I inquired, "Are there bad people out here?"

He scoffed for a second then retorted, "I think you spent a little too long in the desert. You're full out losing your mind."

"So there are bad people out here?" I repeated a bit more scared than I was before.

"There's been an uprising against the Pharaoh. Attacks have been happening every week. So we need to get to the palace where you'll be safe," Roy proclaimed.

I found myself inching closer to Roy, even though a part of me found him completely and utterly insane. He thought I was a goddess or a demigod. Granted he also said we were in Eygpt and from what I've seen, he's definitely not wrong. Pyramids were scattered all around, as wells as temples dedicated to different gods or goddesses, mud-brick houses were everywhere and had citizens in ancient Egyptian attire walking in and out of them, large statues like the famous sphinx structure were around every corner.

"Put this on," Roy told me as he handed me a headscarf. I shook off my thoughts and timidly took the scarf.

"Why?" I questioned as I examined the battered brown cloth.

His tan face surveyed all around us and he said, "Everybody is looking at you. Believe it or not, attention isn't always a good thing."

I felt a wave of fear flow through me and I quickly wrapped the scarf around my head, covering my bright blonde hair. I scanned around the street and saw that people were still staring at me and obviously talking about me as they pointed at my hair and eyes. "How far from the palace are we?" I inquired.

"A couple of minutes," he answered, "I need you to keep your head down and not make eye contact with anybody until we're there."

I immediately let my gaze fall to the dirt road. I made sure that I stayed near Roy's tan sandals and we made our way through the busy town.

Eventually, we came to a stop and I noticed two more pairs of sandals. These sandals had blue rocks on the top and they looked fancier than I ever thought sandals could be. "We need to see the Pharaoh," Roy told them with an urgent tone.

"Why is that?" One of the people asked.

Roy placed his hand on my shoulder, making me jump from surprise, and proclaimed, "I have someone he'll want to see."

The two people, obviously men and most likely guards, laughed and one said, "The Pharaoh doesn't take mistresses or concubines. Take the girl back to wherever she came from before we arrest you both."

Roy let out a sigh and tore off my headscarf. I gasped and looked up at him. Roy gave me a reassuring smile and gestured his head towards the two men in front of us.

Confused as to what he wanted I turned to face the men. They were large and had muscles for days. They were identical in looks and had to be related somehow. Their straight noses were the same size and their jaws just as triangular. Both had bronze skin that was easily seen since neither had shirts on. In their hands were wooden spears with stone tips. Their brown eyes went wide as they took me in and within seconds all I could see was the tops of their bald heads as they bowed down in front of me on their knees.

"As I said," Roy told them, "The Pharaoh is going to want to see her."

----------------------------------

"Look at her! She's burnt to a crisp and dirtier than a small slave boy!" A beautiful feminine voice complained from behind me.

I twirled around and came face to face with the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Her hair was long, straight, and black. She had high cheekbones and a dainty little nose that I would usually assume was the work of plastic surgery. Her face was the shape of a sharp heart and her white dress pronounced her defined collarbone and lean shoulders. Her plump lips had a reddish tint and her eyes were a blueish-green. "Wh... who are you?" I stuttered.

She came closer and closer to me until she was so close that I felt uncomfortable. Her eyes scrutinized me up and down as she ignored my question. She placed her small yet incredibly strong hands on either side of my face, much to my dismay. She moved my head in all directions and even went as far as forcing my mouth open so she could check my teeth. I tried to make her let go but she was much stronger than me and I was stuck until she dropped her hands of her own free will. "She's clean!" She called out to someone behind me.

"What?" I asked a bit unsettled.

She rolled her eyes and told me, "You don't have any diseases."

"Of course I don't!" I responded a bit offended, "Now are you going to tell me who you are?"

She picked up a strand of my dirty hair and tried untangling it with her fingers. Without looking up she said, "My name is Nyra Jite. I'm the daughter of Hathor."

"Who's Hathor?" I asked without a second thought.

Her blue eyes snapped up to me in disgust and she sneered, "Were you raised by wolves? Hathor is the goddess of fertility and love."

"You're a demigod?" I questioned with awe.

"Obviously," she grumbled, "And a personal friend of the Pharaoh so do yourself a favor and stay on my good side, heathen."

I felt a pang of guilt and I told her, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you."

"Well you did," she replied, "I suppose we can leave it in the past though. As long as you promise to do exactly as I say this following hour."

My eyebrow shot up and I questioned, "Hour? What are we going to be doing for an hour?"

"Getting you ready to meet the Pharaoh of course," she answered, "You didn't think you were in good enough shape to actually see him like this... did you?"