Chapter 1

"You must learn respect! And suffering... will be your teacher..."

As the boy's screams echoed through the stadium, Iroh looked away. His beloved Prince Zuko... How could a man be so cruel to do that to his own son? Had his brother always been this monster he now saw before him, had he simply been blind all these years? Or could have really changed that much from when they were boys?

Ozai stormed out of the stadium, and Iroh was the first person at Zuko's side. Blood was splattered across the ground, but it had dried from the heat of the attack. Zuko was curled in on himself screaming in agony. "Some one help him!" he glared at the medics standing off to the side.

They looked uncomfortable. "We... have orders from the Fire Lord to wait..."

Iroh roared fire from his mouth. "HELP! HIM!"

They nodded and rolled him onto his back. Iroh got the first glimpse of his face and he thought he was going to be sick. Ozai would pay for this.

The medics put Zuko on a gurney and carried him out of the arena. Iroh followed them, but realized they weren't going towards the medical bay or a hospital. "Where are you taking him?"

"We have our orders sir." They carried him outside and turned towards the docks.

Iroh was about to follow when he felt a hand on his shoulder. "It had to be done brother. If the boy is ever to become Fire Lord, he must learn respect."

Iroh turned around to glare at him, "He could have learned another way! You didn't have to do that! For all we know, he may not even survive!"

Ozai glared at him, "I don't believe I like your tone brother. Do not forget who you are talking to. I will discipline my son however I see fit, just as you may discipline your... oh that's right." He smirked as Iroh fumed. "I have given Zuko the task of capturing the Avatar. He may not return to the Fire Nation until the task is complete."

"The Avatar hasn't been seen in a hundred years!" he roared. "Why don't you call it what it is?! This is no 'mission'! It's banishment!"

Ozai shrugged, "Call it what you want. He leaves tonight." He turned to walk away.

"May I join him?" Iroh wasn't sure where the words had come from but as soon as he said them, he knew he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Ozai turned, "You want to go with him?"

"Yes," Iroh stated flatly. "I can continue his fire bending training, so he is ready when he makes his return."

He just shrugged, "I don't see why not. Knock yourself out." with that, he stormed off.

Iroh let out a breath that he didn't realize he'd been holding. He then made his way towards the docks. Zuko may not be able to capture the Avatar, but at least he wouldn't have to take this journey alone...

~line break~

Iroh took a seat at Zuko's bedside. "How is he?"

The ship's doctor shook his head. "It's not good... I've done everything I can but... only time will tell." He picked up his bag and left.

Iroh looked down at Zuko. A large bandage covered half of his face. A face that was far too pale, as if all the blood had been drained out of it. He was sleeping right now, but every so often he would twitch or wince in pain. It clearly wasn't a restful slumber.

"Oh, my dear nephew..." Iroh gently tucked a hair behind his ear as he cried. He too soon fell into a restless slumber...

(A/N - Hey guys! Thanks for reading! I normally update on weekends, but I'm on vacation right now so I'm doing it a day early. I hope you like it so far. Flamio Hotman!)