CHAPTER 66

4 (2) – 7

"Well, I AM sorry for being so unsightly!"

Pushing Nicole aside, Camilla stood face to face with Verrat.

The two girls seemed confused as to why Camilla had suddenly butt into the middle of their conversation, b. But, that confusion soon turned to fear at her naked hostility towards them.

"W-What do you...?"

"What exactly is wrong about wanting to be loved by the person you love? So what if I was jealous? So what if I held a grudge? What's wrong with that?"

"Huh...?"

Verrat and Finne began to tremble terribly. That only made sense, of course. Who wouldn't be deeply frightened if someone who was obviously higher on the social ladder turned their unmistakably venomous hatred towards you like this, for a reason you can't even understand?

But, Camilla didn't have eyes with which to see their scared faces. Neither did she have ears to hear the voice of someone behind her, trying to calm her down.

The only thing she could feel was the anger building up in her head, like a torrent of water against a dam. That rising heat gave way to the cold words that came from Camilla's lips.

"Even if the one I loved chooses another, I should just throw away my feelings and meekly congratulate the two of them? When I see him side by side with someone who isn't me, should I just happily smile in their direction?"

Camilla got right up into Verrat's face. Staring straight into the girl's eyes, she didn't notice the cold sweat that was pouring down her face.

"When your true love chose another, you still decided to smile for their sake, is that it? But that beautiful love of yours? I cannot do it!"

She couldn't see Verrat's face anymore, all she could see was the mocking expression of one of the noble girls of the royal palace instead. Eyes that sneered at her love that never came to be. Although they all too had love Prince Julian in the same way, they had all given up on him long ago.

Camilla, however, was the only one who never gave up.

Verrat was rooted to the spot as she trembled. She was just a commoner, terrified by the noble in front of her whom she had no power with which to go against. She understood that for some reason, this noblewoman was getting back at her. Well, actually, that wasn't quite right. Right now, Camilla barely remembered who it was that she was shouting at, or even truly where she was anymore. Camilla wasn't thinking, the words that came tumbling out of her mouth were pure emotion.

She truly had loved him. And therefore, Camilla had become unsightly.

"Even if I was unsightly, even if I was ugly, I just wanted to be loved!"

– Prince Juli... an...

The back of the man she had always chased after floated through Camilla's thoughts. No matter how much Camilla yearned after him, he would never turn around to look at her.

All she could remember in her mind was his back.

"I wanted to see myself in his eyes! I wanted to support His Highness! I wanted to stand by his side! Those were my feelings; how could I just give up on them like you did...!?"

"Stop it at once!"

A strong force separated Camilla from Verrat, who were was almost eyeball to eyeball to her. A booming voice that even drowned out Camilla's anguished cries.

Alois took Camilla's hand. Pulling her away from Verrat, he tried to bring Camilla back to her senses.

When she turned around, she saw herself reflected in Alois' severe eyes. Camilla's face had twisted out of her own control. Was she crying? Laughing? Or was it a mask of pure unbridled anger?