CHAPTER 79

4 (3) – 6

After leaving the basement of the diner, Camilla was accompanied by Alois as they made their way to the florist.

Klaus and Nicole, meanwhile, were still busy in the cellar. Klaus was busy personally instructing Victor and the others, whilst Nicole was staying with him since Klaus wanted to use her.

Apparently, Klaus was determined to have Nicole sing. Nicole was a typical denizen of Mohnton and was hesitant about getting involved with this sudden new vice at first, but lately, she seems to have been swept up in Klaus' rhythm and they even seemed to be getting along a little better.

That's why, for the first time in a while, she was alone with Alois.

Just like always, she could hear the faint echoes of that detestable hymn on the air.

There weren't many other people trudging through the snow covered roads. As she walked alongside Alois, Camilla felt awkward, leaving behind a trail of footprints in the snow.

Blume was a town famous for its flowers and perfumes. However, since flowers were only really seen as an ingredient, its main export was the perfume. There weren't all that many shops that were specifically dedicated to floristry, and amongst those there were only a handful that Klaus pointed out as potential collaborators for the festival.

In the first place, it wasn't an uncommon opinion in this land that flowers, being so vividly coloured and eye-catching, were in themselves a form of 'vice'. Although people tolerated the flowers that grew in the flowerbeds and on the trees as articles of nature, there were those who frowned on florists displaying bouquets and wreaths in their shop windows.

Of course, it goes without saying that perfume is considered a luxurious item, but the perfume produced in Blume isn't typically sold there. The vast majority of it is exported outside of the territory, with it being an open secret that in Mohnton itself the products are only used by a cadre of high ranking nobles and wealthy merchants.

The point being, they weren't sold much in the public eye.

There was still a little ways to walk before they reached the florist.

As they walked side by side, it didn't seem like Alois was going to say anything either as the silence persisted between them.

Thinking about it, it was probably the first time she had been alone with Alois since the time in the greenhouse. She was acutely aware that the pitiful side of herself she showed to Alois must still be fresh in his mind.

After all, Alois had proposed to Camilla. How could he simply forget that the woman he wanted to think about becoming engaged to him was crying her eyes out over another man? In fact, Alois had often kept Camilla company when she had something to vent.

So, Camilla thought that she should sincerely respond to Alois' kindness.

"...Lord Alois."

"Yes?"

Alois responded straight away as Camilla awkwardly called out to him. Although, seeing how bitter Camilla's face was as she looked up at him, Alois seemed a little confused.

"Is something wrong?"

"Ah, well, you see? I thought I should thank you for the other day. I showed you something unsightly after all..."

"Ah, don't mention it."

With that answer, Alois' gaze drifted. It was as if he was looking over the snow-covered town for some inspiration as to what to say next.

"I loved Prince Julian."

"Yes. I know."

"And when it came to marrying you, Lord Alois, I was against it from the start. Why should I have to live apart from His Highness? That was the kind of thing I was thinking."