CHAPTER 87

4 (3) – 14

The blade's edge touched Klaus' defenceless neck.

If its wielder wanted it to, it could take Klaus' head in an instant.

The vigilante holding his blade against Klaus' neck wasn't alone. In addition to those who were already there in the first place, Lucas had brought in several more men.

Unlike Franz, it didn't seem as if Lucas had any interest in dealing with Klaus personally. He flanked himself with vigilante men and kept a distance from Klaus that he couldn't hope to bridge before being cut down.

No, in fact it wouldn't do to use the word 'vigilante' anymore, these were Lucas' private soldiers. The men who didn't seem to fit at all into this town of secret mirth were not originally from Blume, but were in Lucas' personal employ.

"...You finally showed yourself, uncle. I was wondering if you were just going to cower in your room until the show was over."

"If I didn't intervene, you might have pulled the wool over Franz's eyes. That boy is honest, so he might fall for your swindles. You're just like Gerda, in a way."

"I'd rather you put it down to my natural charm."

Klaus smiled as he let his mouth run. That being said, it seemed as if Lucas had been waiting in the wings, just in case Franz failed. If Franz has killed Klaus without any complications, then Lucas wouldn't have shown himself at all.

Lucas' prudence was one of his few good points. The control of the vigilante militia and Klaus' demise, he had intended for all of it to reflect on Franz, not himself. Even if it was an open secret that he was pulling the strings, he didn't leave any trace of evidence to that fact.

But, since he seemed to be enjoying such an overwhelming advantage now, he looked to be enjoying himself a little bit. Klaus' life was entirely in Lucas' hands. With one command, he could bring everything to an end.

"Did you manage to coax Duke Montchat with that silver tongue of yours? Gracious, you pretend to be so unselfish, but you really are a glutton aren't you? Did you want to become the successor so badly?"

"Aren't you talking about yourself, uncle? You want control of the House of Lörrich so badly that you're going to murder me for it?"

Although the Lörrich family were proud and held great influence over Blume, they were still subservient to the Montchat dukes. In effect, they were nothing more than low ranking nobility in a remote region, without any real territorial claims of their own.

Although Franz's desire didn't extend beyond becoming the successor to the Lörrich family, for the ambitious Lucas, that was far from enough to satisfy him.

"Besides, you know that I have Alois in the palm of my hand, don't you? If you kill me, you'll basically be declaring open rebellion against the House of Montchat.

When Klaus said that, Lucas merely scoffed. Klaus couldn't see the expression on Lucas' face with his back turned, but it wasn't difficult to imagine. Surely, he was sneering down haughtily at Klaus, something he had been wanting to do for quite some time.

"The House of Montchat is nothing to me."

"...Even though your opponent would be a Duke?"

"And, so what? Duke or no, I'll swallow him whole. That dullard they call the 'Toad of the Swamp', he would be easy to control. If even Gerda can do it, then why can't I?"

The sword touching Klaus' neck twitched. Was it because Klaus moved slightly, or the sword's owner?

In order to see Lucas, Klaus twisted his neck ever so slightly.