CHAPTER 89

4 (3) – 16

The girl looked up wondrously at the stage

Was she ten years old? Other than that girl, there wasn't anyone else nearby. Had she been separated from her parents or her friends? Or did she just get lost alone in the chaos?

After gathering her thoughts, Camilla approached the lost looking little girl on the main street.

"What's the matter? Are you lost?"

When Camilla called out to her, the girl's shoulders jumped It seemed like she was so absorbed in the sound, she didn't see Camilla coming. Those round eyes that she looked up at Camilla with seemed confused.

"Um, uh, I'm sorry. I looked without permission."

"That's okay. If you like, you can come closer to watch. Assuming you aren't lost, that is?"

"I'm not lost!"

The girl's cheeks puffed up as she pouted.

"I'm waiting for my friends. I know how to get back to my house by myself!"

"I understand, my mistake. Then, do take your time and listen... Ah, no... Wait just a minute."

As if suddenly remembering something, Camilla looked around the main street. Ruined stalls lined the sidewalks. As she looked, she tried to eye Günter's stall, that was supposed to be around here.

Günter's stand was set up in a good position, near the main square. Luckily, it hadn't been damaged too badly. Günter must have protected it well since all the cookery she could see were still in decent shape. As soon as she saw that, Camilla rushed over towards the stall.

Sitting next to his stand, Günter was all alone. He was hunched over like everyone else, exhausted. With a gloomy look towards the square, he sighed.

As he sullenly sat alone, Camilla suddenly burst onto the scene with vigour. Günter turned away from the square to frown at the sudden intruder.

"Oi, what're you doing? What happened?"

"I need to borrow your stall for a moment."

"Ha?"

Not taking any notice of the dumbfounded Günter, Camilla slipped behind the stand's counter.

The stall was tidy and neatly organized, equipped with a simple to use outdoor stove. So that the stall wouldn't burn down, the fire is completely encased. A net was spread over the charcoals, with a skewer and a bottle of sauce set up beside it.

The meat was left in a stone chest on the ground, well cooled with magical tools.

The flint was... next to the coals. As soon as she found it, Camilla lit up the oven. After skewering the meat on one of the spits, she laid it across the netting after waiting for the fire to begin burning in earnest.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Looking into the stall, Günter stared at her, perplexed. It was no wonder. He'd agreed to take part in the festival and was gearing up to finally enjoy himself, then suddenly his stall was attacked by a group of men. After finally managing to fight them off with whatever he could, the moment he took a break his stall was finally taken over by one lone invader.

"It should be simple to see if you look."

But, Camilla's answer seemed cold. Without turning around to look at him, she continued to grill the meat over the flame.

The meat grilling in the oven was charred with the pattern of the net beneath it. The juices from the meat dripped through the net, falling into the fire with puffs of smoke. Those juices running from the meat was a sign it still hadn't been cooked till perfection yet.