CHAPTER 97

5 – 4

The gift that Klaus had given her was gone.

The day after that tea party they had together, Camilla noticed that the white case she had been given before leaving Blume was missing from her bedroom.

She had treasured it as a precious gift, but... well, since it was technically a gift from a man, after all, she had hidden it on her shelf, in the shadows of some of her other possessions.

"Lady Camilla, is something wrong?"

As Camilla pored over the shelf in an attempt to locate it, Nicole who had just entered the room with fresh water asked curiously. After replacing the jug on her bedside table, she looked at Camilla.

"Nicole, there was a white case here, have you seen it? It was about this big."

Camilla turned around and held out her thumb and forefinger to Nicole, making a gap between them that she could see the maid through. That said, Nicole was there when Camilla had placed it amongst the flowers, dolls and letters on the shelf to hide it.

However, Nicole shook her head.

"If you say so, it must be gone? Though when I was cleaning before, I don't remember seeing it on the shelf."

"Really? I wonder... did I just leave it somewhere?"

She usually kept it in her room, but sometimes she brought it to the kitchen with her. She had wanted to use its contents as a reference for making something like those candied flowers herself. The problem was that, in truth, they were so far beyond Camilla's level of confectionary making that she couldn't even use them as a reference point.

"Well, fine. I was thinking of going to the kitchen today at any rate. Perhaps I'll find them there."

Camilla had become Günter's student when it came to the art of baking pastries and making sweets since she got back from Blume. Günter himself was strangely motivated, though that was hard to tell if it was because of some kind of rivalry with Klaus or because he was still frustrated with Camilla from before. But, at least, Camilla was learning. And occasionally, although they bickered, when they were at their most passionate they sometimes formed a surprisingly good partnership in the kitchen.

If she ended up being able to make delicious sweets, then she could eventually be confident enough in her ability that she could have Alois eat some as well. Camilla wouldn't allow anyone to ruin her dishes, either. Whether that be with syrup, honey or whatever other saccharine weapons this household employed.

And, eventually, if Camilla could work her way into cooking most of his food, it would help Alois change his diet as well. But, first things first, she would have to finish her work when it came to sweets. Then, after that, she could change his diet piece by piece. Considering how straight to the point Camilla typically was, this was quite the long-term plan for her.

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

Camilla stopped in her tracks despite herself when she heard the voice of someone she truly didn't want to hear.

As she was on her way to the kitchen, she heard someone's voice echo down the corridor of the Montchat mansion. As she stood straight against a wall and peeked her head around the corner gingerly, she saw Alois and Gerda facing one another.

It wasn't an unusual sight to see these two exchange words. Gerda was a senior employee who managed a lot of the employees in the house, after all. Even amongst the senior servants of the Montchat family, she was a veteran, and there was no one more acquainted with the inner workings of the house than her.