CHAPTER 98

5 – 5

Alois' parents passed away when he was fifteen.

That was only eight years ago.

Officially, the cause of death was an accident.

An accident caused by out of control magical energy.

"Camilla, you know that my magical power is stronger than that of most people, don't you?"

They were alone together in Alois' study. As they sat facing each other in front of the crackling fireplace, Camilla answered Alois.

"I know."

Although she said that, Camilla hadn't ever seen the true extent of his magical power. The most she had seen him do was dispel Nicole's illusion, as well as strengthen his body with magic when they escaped the underground in Einst.

However, even if she hadn't seen it fully, the level of his power was obvious. Those vividly red eyes above all else told her more than she needed to know about just how much magical energy was stored within his body.

"I used to be unable to control the power I had in my body... no, even now, I still find it difficult to keep under control properly. But in the past, I truly couldn't wield it at all."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Most of my magical power is sealed away. Now, I can only use a fraction of the power in my body."

Camilla raised her eyebrows. Even though Alois' power had apparently been curtailed, he could still follow the veins of the manastones underground. To do something like that would require strong magical power. To put it simply, Alois still possessed exceptional magical strength. And if he says that's just a 'fraction' of his real power, just what was he really capable of...?

"The sort of out of control magical energy that Nicole sometimes has trouble with, I also experience it. It's often just small things, though. Only once has my power truly gone out of control in a huge way. My magic came into contact with the magical power of other people, and ran amok."

Alois sank back into his chair, gripping his hands into fists on his knees. Those downcast eyes of his seemed like they were solely focused on those clenched hands. Although his face was expressionless, the slight trembling in his hands betrayed his feelings.

"It was eight years ago. The day when my parents died, and the day that I killed people."

A deep breath left Alois' lungs. As he curled his hands into even tighter fists, he looked at Camilla dispassionately.

"I barely have any memories of my childhood. Maybe that incident is what caused it? Whenever I try to remember anything that happened before it, it's like there's nothing there. I'm sure that's because a part of me desperately wanted to forget. Honestly, I can barely even remember my parents' faces."

Camilla listened with bated breath. Alois, meanwhile, was expressionless. As they sat in front of the fire, their figures cast dark shadows behind them. The way he spoke without emotion, it was as if he was talking about something that had nothing to do with him.

"But, I remember bits and pieces. The outlines of my mother and father, directing their magical power towards me... it was only afterward that I was told they were using their own power to seal mine. But, their magic was repulsed by my own and rebounded... they were torn apart by it, both of them. Mother and father."

It was then that a flicker of a frown ran across Alois' face. Then, it passed, and his mouth bent into a smile.

"I killed my parents."