CHAPTER 99

5 – 6

Camilla was furious.

That was only natural. For ten days after that incident, Camilla and Alois barely said a word to one another.

Alois spent almost all of his time in his study, barely leaving at all. He didn't answer when she knocked on his door, and on the rare occasion they met in the corridor he excused himself with an 'I'm busy'. It would take a saint not to be angry about all this.

Had he shut himself off in there to think about what to do next? It was like he was at work constantly. All the food was delivered straight to him directly, it was like he didn't take his eyes off those documents for days at a time.

– He's running away from reality!

Feeling no end to her bitter irritation, Camilla slammed a fist into the cookie dough. No matter how much she took her anger out on the dough, though, it didn't seem to fade at all. Camilla had haunted the kitchens so much lately with a terrifying looking face that even those usually rowdy cooks didn't dare speak out to her.

Thanks to that, Camilla made more cookie dough than anyone knew what to do with. At first, she was making it to properly bake it into cookies, but she soon realized that the kneading process was much more suited to her mood, so instead the amount of dough just kept on increasing.

– At least hear what other people have to say! Stop running away from things! And this comfort eating of his absolutely has to stop!

Because she spent so much of her time in the kitchen, Camilla had picked up the gist of Alois' current food situation. Apparently, Alois had completely regained his appetite from before. No matter how many meals a day he was served, he was returning cleaned plates of that disgustingly overseasoned food. If this kept up, Camilla's efforts would be all for nought.

He had finally begun to really lose some weight and was even beginning to exercise, what's more, she felt like she had been on the verge of a breakthrough in regards to getting rid of all that excess seasoning in his food.

But now, Alois seems determined to not even face Camilla before she returns to the royal capital. It's as if he really does believe that this is what's best for her.

– Coward! Craven! He's scared, so that's why he's running away!

Alois wouldn't leave his room, she couldn't find that small case of flowers, and her progress when it came to making sweets was going off the rails as well. Nicole was beginning to scratch at her skin again like back when the miasma was thick in the air. Günter still didn't recognize Camilla's skill, and Gerda was as hateful as ever.

Everything felt like it was spiralling out of her control. And everything, all of it, was all Alois' fault.

"...Just as wild as ever."

Stepping past the cooks who had slunk away in fear at the sight of Camilla pounding the cookie dough into a pulp, Günter looked at her without a trace of fright in his face.

"What else can I do!?"

As Camilla snapped back at him, Günter frowned. He didn't yell at Camilla, who was making a mess of his kitchen, perhaps he even sympathized with her.

But, first and foremost, he was still Alois' close friend.

"Well, I understand the young master's feelings. Even just talking to you about it like that must have taken a lot of pluck."

"Hmph," Camilla breathed out angrily through her nose. That know-it-all Günter, he had always been aware of Alois' dark past. 'It's an open secret around here,' he had said. Apparently, all the veteran servants in the mansion knew about it.