CHAPTER 102

She found Alois in the old storeroom, next to his own bedroom.

It was a room that he didn't want to let anyone enter, a room where Nicole snuck in one day and broke an important plate. Just why on earth did he come here of all places to eat? In front of that family portrait, its frame covered in dust, Alois sat alone at a table as he ate something, his back turned to Camilla.

As soon as she had stepped into the room, she had felt a crawling sensation on her skin. The room was so full of rampant magical energy that even Camilla, someone who had next to no magical power herself, knew just how powerful it was.

Even though she hesitated for a brief moment, Camilla eventually steeled herself and marched into the room.

"Lord Alois!"

"I'm sorry, but please leave me alone for now."

However, as if to curtail Camilla who had plucked up her courage to face him, Alois wouldn't even turn to face her.

"I'll be fine. Just for today, please leave me alone."

Camilla frowned as he tried to push her away with his words once again. This man, is he always going to be so set on building walls around himself?

"There's nothing you can do for me, Camilla. Please, for today, just go back to your room."

"As if I could do such a thing!?"

Ignoring Alois' words, Camilla kept striding boldly into the room. The only things that could be heard for a brief moment were Camilla's footsteps, as well as the quiet and restrained sounds of Alois eating. He eats and eats, even if he shouldn't.

"Lord Alois, just what on earth are you eating!?"

She bellowed that out as she walked over to him,

"...Iboku wonder, just what have I been eating all this time?"

"Lord Alois?"

"The food I eat, just what is it meant to be?"

From where she stood, Camilla could only see Alois' back The portrait of the former Duke and Duchess hanging above Alois seemed to cast a shadow down on the table.

"Taste doesn't matter. I can't think about whether it's good or bad. The only thing I'm allowed to do is chew and swallow. There could have been poison mixed into my food for years and I wouldn't have known. Or, perhaps, I've just become accustomed to enjoying poison?"

"Lord Alois!"

"I knew that something like this would happen sooner or later. Neither father, nor mother, nor anyone would allow me to change. Things such as meeting new people or trying to move forward, I knew they were forbidden, the only thing I'm allowed to do is protect this land, as it was. Someone like me, who disregards his father's will like this, has no value at all in the eyes of his servants."

"Do you even hear what you're saying!?"

She could barely understand the words that Alois muttered under his breath. But, even though Camilla raised her voice at him, he still kept talking.

"This dish is my repentance, my parent's will, and also... their insurance. Just why am I still alive? I don't understand..."

Something in the room began to stir... was it dust? The magical energy in the room popped and crackled viciously. As he kept speaking, Alois' voice began to waver as well.

"Just why couldn't I swallow it? Just why did I spit it out? And even vomit? Father and mother would never permit me to do something like that... But, when I saw that flower, for some reason I thought that I didn't want to die..."