CHAPTER 105

5 – 12

At first glance, the contents of the box were just normal flowers.

However, the truth was that the flowers had been tampered with. A crimson shaded poison coated the surface, that would dissolve along with its colour into any liquid it came into contact with.

As they all looked silently at the flowers, the senior maid looked even more confident. They looked truly poisonous, had a queerly sweet scent to them, and most of all, Camilla had admitted they were hers.

An attendant who knew more about poisons could examine it safely later, but the truth of the matter was already clear enough.

"Just as I expected, you really are as vile as the stories suggest."

The senior maid said that, as she sharply closed the box in her hand. Then, after taking a deep breath, she turned to the servants behind her and commanded them with confidence.

"Seize her at once. Arrest this woman and have her locked up immediately!"

"Wait."

Alois finally rose from his chair, to ward off the manservants who had taken a step forward at the maid's command. But, of course, Camilla had reached the absolute limits of her patience much faster than Alois had.

"Stop spouting utter nonsense however you please! You mean to say that I poisoned Lord Alois!?"

Even Alois' voice was drowned out as Camilla continued to shout at the senior maid.

"I had no part in it! I don't know anything about all this!"

"You just said that this belonged to you! Do you truly believe you can shout your way out of this now!?"

"Someone has switched the contents! In the first place, I lost that box days ago!"

There had been some time between Camilla first realizing that the box had gone missing from her room and Alois being poisoned. More than enough time for someone to switch the contents.

So, just why had the contents been swapped? That wasn't difficult to figure out either. When she was back in the royal capital, situations like this weren't an uncommon sight in the slightest.

"Someone is attempting to frame me as the culprit!"

"How utterly barefaced! Who on earth would want to frame you in the first place!?"

The maid began to raise her voice to match Camilla's.

"...Why is there such a commotion so early in the day?"

A cold voice suddenly cut straight through the cacophonous office. Everyone in the room, including Camilla and the senior maid who had been shouting at each other just a moment ago, turned to look at the owner of that cool voice, who had so effortlessly quieted the room.

"This is Lord Alois' study. I would have you refrain from causing an uproar here."

As she looked at the servants in the room, her expression was as hard as steel. It was Gerda, the chief maid.

At the sudden intimidating glare, the senior maid's shoulders went slightly stiff, but she managed to keep talking.

"Miss Gerda! Please, listen to this! This woman is the one behind it! This woman... she attempted to murder Lord Alois with poison!"

"That's false! I did not do anything of the sort!"

"There is evidence, as well as witnesses! This woman did something with these flowers, and then added them to the cooking! She made them into poisonous flowers!"