CHAPTER 114

6 – 4

"...Alois, later, do you have a moment?"

As people began to disappear back into the depths of the mansion, Klaus stopped Alois before he walked back up the stairs.

When Alois looked back at him, his face was pale. That was only natural. He had been betrayed and backed into a corner by the people who should have been his vassals, and now they've even taken away Camilla, who was the one who could emotionally support him the best.

It would have been strange for him to look healthy at all. One could almost forgive him if he chose to throw everything away and give in to his heartbreak.

Perhaps that's what he really wanted to do, and everything he did before was just putting on a brave face.

"I don't mind but... what is it?"

As he tried to collect himself, Alois responded to Klaus. Klaus, meanwhile, found himself slightly at a loss when faced with that expression of his, as if he were trying to mask his exhaustion.

"I just need a second, there's something we have to talk about."

Klaus swallowed hard, managing to force his lips to move the way he wanted them to.

Could he really tell Alois? Just how would Alois react to his words?

If Alois heard Klaus' story, he was willing to bet that he would go to the capital straight away. The royal capital, the city to which Camilla was on her way. He really hadn't wanted to let her go. And if he knew, chances are he would chase after Camilla immediately, without any hesitation.

But, there was no way Alois could leave this place right now. If he turned his back on such a crisis now, all those people who pledged their support to him, who believed in him, would be scattered like dust to the wind. There was no way that a Lord who seemingly ran from the land he was dutybound to protect could ever claim legitimacy to rule it.

– No.

He had to believe in him. Alois wouldn't act rashly, he knew what he had to do.

"It concerns you. It's not something we can talk about just standing around, though. Sorry about this, but it's important."

As Klaus spoke so mysteriously with such a serious face, Alois' eyebrows furrowed.

But, before Alois could say anything, there was suddenly a panicked rushing of footsteps up through the entrance.

"Report! The Ende magicians have begun to attack from Falsch! Battle has been joined, but without a way to respond to their magic..."

One of the guard captains in charge of the capital of Mohnton's defense shouted out. Alois tore his gaze away from Klaus to look at the man as he delivered his report.

"Klaus, that story will have to wait... What kind of magic are they using? Give me a damage report."

Alois quickly walked over to the soldier. Staring at Alois' back as he left him, Klaus clicked his tongue in frustration.

They would definitely find the time to speak later. But, for now, this was the more pressing issue. Taking a deep breath, Klaus cleared his mind for the problem at hand.

For now, he had to act as the strategist for the Montchat family.

Five days after leaving Mohnton.

Camilla's arrival in the royal capital was a plain affair.

During the trip, she had been worried she would simply be killed and left by the roadside, but it seems like that had been an empty concern. The envoys from the capital had merely escorted her back to the royal capital, and all the way to the gates of the Storm family mansion.