CHAPTER 122

6 – 12

Why?

Why was the first Duke Montchat, a member of the royal family, exiled to a land of criminals?

Why did the nobility of Mohnton repeat the practice of marrying within the family?

Why did the land forbid any entertainment or fun, simply allowing people only to subsist?

The shadow of the royal family. The reverence of the past. The endless traditions. It all made so little sense.

Without knowing the truth, it was impossible to figure out why things were the way they were.

A member of the royal family was found guilty and for political reasons, things were kept a secret, as they often were. Defeated in the struggle for succession against his elder brother, he was quietly exiled to a land of criminals. The four houses that pledged fealty to him and believed wholeheartedly in his innocence followed him into those abominable and miasma filled swamps.

From that point on, the Montchat family became the royal family's shadow.

In the past, Sonnenlicht was often at war with multiple foreign nations at the same time. Mohnton, a border duchy, was often subject to raids and incursions. Grenze was a fortress. Einst provided the soldiers. The Ende family researched sorceries with which to fight back. Mohnton became the bulwark that defended Sonnenlicht against foreign invasion, and the Montchat Dukes became the shadow that operated in the darker corners of the world at the royal family's behest.

They engaged in cruel experiments. They made battlefields become awash with blood. The truth of the Montchat family was kept in that far away land, as they became the royal family's dark hand.

But, such things weren't known to the people. The dark shadow that stretched behind the throne was kept secret and the shadows remained in the shade until their role became obsolete with the end of the wars.

Now, those unsightly scars only marred Mohnton.

Just when was it that they began to pine instead for the light?

The noble families of Mohnton, following the lead of the Montchat family, sought to protect their lineage from the taint of criminal blood.

In order to maintain their innocence, they kept marriages within the family, not contaminating their descendants.

They had never accepted this exile as the ultimate fate of their houses. This was not the place where their legacy would die. A land simply to subsist. In order to avoid being known as lords of a land filled with vice and corruption, they prohibited the sorts of entertainment that might have ignited such desires in people, whilst also imposing those same harsh restrictions on themselves. They didn't need joy or fun until the Montchat family and their followers had returned to their rightful place back in the light.

But, that wait soon seemed to be eternal.

A hundred years later, a certain Prince was born to the royal family. An unfortunate Prince, who was barely known to anyone and kept from the public eye.

By coincidence, that very same year, a boy was born to the Duke and Duchess of Montchat.

The time that they had waited for so long to come had finally arrived.

Now, the light and the shadow could be exchanged.

After the death of the Second Queen, the Second Prince whose true face was unknown, was secretly swapped with the son of Duke Montchat.

That boy's hair and eye colour were altered through the use of magic, and he became Prince Julian.

The Prince, who was whisked away to the north, had his memory sealed.