CHAPTER 127

The Capital; One Month Later (1)

Springtime in the royal capital was much warmer than in the frigid northern expanses of Mohnton.

They arrived just as the waning weeks of spring arrived, with the flowers truly in full bloom. Under that deep blue sky, as singing birds sung with spirit on flowering trees, only a month ago everyone would have anticipated such a festive atmosphere to accompany the celebrations of Prince Julian's wedding.

But, it wasn't as if the capital was in a gloomy mood now. People had reacted well to the news of the capture of the ringleaders of the traitorous plot to take over the kingdom.

An investigation was still ongoing to see just who had been assisting both the traitors in the capital and their allied rebels in Mohnton, but that was something that would take years to fully wrap up.

In the meantime, however, the most popular figure of discussion was none other than Alois Montchat, who was being hailed as one of the key people credited with putting down the plot. Now that the fraudulent man posing as Prince Julian had been locked away to await his fate, Duke Alois who had been revealed to be the real Julian now found himself being pulled in two directions.

Alois himself had stated that he only ever wants to remain 'Alois' and continue living in Mohnton, but there are a sizeable number of people who wish for him to once again be 'Julian'. Whilst the First Prince Eckhart respects Alois will to remain himself, he still steadfastly maintains that he would like Alois to become a sort of 'Julian' when it comes to providing assistance in matters of state. People seemed impatient for a decision to be made, with many people still trying to jostle for influence over the argument one way or another.

– But, well, I suppose there's no helping talking it over until a compromise can be made?

Camilla looked around at the unfamiliar parlour as she let out a small sigh.

With a view towards the south, this guestroom that oversaw the courtyard was the finest one the Royal Palace had to offer. Of course, the Montchat mansion back in Mohnton wasn't shabby, but it paled in comparison to the splendour on show here. From the size of the room, to the intricately made furniture, all the way down to the fluffy softness of the seats. But, despite being surrounded by such finery, Camilla couldn't quite feel at ease.

"Sorry about all this, Camilla. For you having to come along with me, I mean."

Alois, sitting opposite Camilla, looked genuinely apologetic.

"We barely had time to settle back down in Mohnton before... you must be tired, right?"

"There was no helping it, after all. It was at the request of His Highness, Prince Eckhart."

As she looked back at him, Camilla remembered just how it was that they came to be here in the first place.

It was about a month after Camilla had returned to Mohnton after all the turmoil in the royal capital.

Although they had rushed back as fast as they could because of the rebellion still ongoing in Mohnton, they found that things had almost been completely settled by the time they got there. Many people had taken up arms for Alois' cause or switched to his side, with the now isolated Falsch soldiers surrendering. Not long after, Vilmer who had been leading the rebellion, was captured.

The soldiers that Eckhart had sent along with Alois ended up being completely unnecessary and were eventually sent home. Everything seemed like it was going swimmingly.

Everyone who had performed meritorious deeds were rewarded and investigations launched into bringing to light the truth of the rebellion. Of course, Alois also began to make a tour of inspection of the duchy, assessing just how much damage had been done. When his soldiers had returned back and Eckhart learned that the rebellion in Mohnton had been put down without further incident, he sent word for Alois to return to the royal capital.