CHAPTER 129

The Capital; One Month Later (3)

Camilla eventually managed to get the children to lead her onto the kitchen.

Alois, meanwhile, was told to stay in the orphanage's waiting room.

The waiting room was so neatly organized and well maintained that it didn't fit Alois' idea of what an orphanage looked like at all. The cream coloured white walls gave the room a bright yet soft impression. The large windows offered a sunswept view of the church next door. The chairs and tables were noticeably aged, but they looked in good condition. Everything he could see in the room spoke volumes about the orphanage's wealth.

The only person in the waiting room alongside Alois was a single nun. If he had to make a guess at her age, perhaps she was nearing her fifties? As she guided him to the waiting room, the children had called her 'miss', so he assumed she must have been one of the staff here.

When the nun spoke to him, her voice was relaxed, the slight wrinkles either side of her lip stretching as she smiled.

"We sincerely welcome you here. I've heard everything from Lady Camilla. Lord Alois... would you prefer me to address you that way?"

"Yes, that would be fine, thank you... Sorry for suddenly intruding like this."

Alois took off his hat as he spoke. Even when that glittering silver hair of his came into view, her gentle smile didn't crack at all.

"You're more than welcome. It's always like this around here, after all. Please, sit, Diana will be here with a cup of tea shortly."

Alois studied the nun once again once she said Diana's name.

– They're similar.

The energetic Diana and the sage-like nun. They gave off almost the exact opposite impression, but there was something distinctly similar about both of them...

"...Ah."

When the nun noticed Alois gazing at her, he made a voice as he finally realized. Once Alois had taken a seat, she sat opposite him. Maybe it was Alois' imagination, but it almost seemed like she had a slightly different air about her now that he had figured it out.

"My apologies for not introducing myself earlier. My name is Rita Hellner. Yes, as I imagine you've already deduced, Lord Alois... I am also in your debt, since I am Diana's mother."

"Hellner?"

Alois instinctively repeated that familiar name. Hellner, although occupying a low rung on the aristocratic ladder, should by all means still be a noble family.

"Oh my, Diana didn't tell you?"

Rita tilted her head in surprise as Alois hook his head. He'd heard a few stories about Diana from Camilla, mostly from the time when she was young, but he'd never looked into Diana's background. When he accepted her as a servant of the Montchat family, he'd dispensed with the usual requirement of a letter of introduction. Because, even though she was a servant of the Storm family who he had antagonized, he wanted to trust someone that Camilla herself placed so much faith in.

What's more, Diana wasn't exactly the type that talked about herself much. Really, the only certain things he knew about her was that she was a servant to the Storm family and Camilla's long-time maid.

"That girl, always so troublesome," Rita frowned as she said that with a sigh, resting her chin on her hand.

"Hellner is my husband's family name. But, I've been cut off from that family now, so I don't have anything to do with the current Baron Hellner."