CHAPTER 131

The Path of the Dead (1)

Julian sat up in his bed, his head leaning back against the wall.

High on the opposite wall, out of reach, was a lone barred window. On another wall, a heavy wooden door only had a single small window to the dark hall outside, also covered by thick iron bars. The last wall was made up of featureless stone.

"After all..."

As he gazed at the wall, Julian muttered to himself.

"Playing you off as a 'tragic heroine' was a bridge too far, huh?"

"What's with that!?"

From the other side of the wall behind him, there was a muffled retort. As that voice bit back at him, Julian smiled faintly.

"It didn't really fit you at all."

"Nonsense! I played the part perfectly, didn't I? Meek, emotional and innocent... was there ever such a perfect lady as me? I was really popular, you know?"

"Just imagine if they had learned what you were really like."

Julian let out a small laugh. He couldn't see her, but he could imagine the pout on her face as he said that.

"Do you still remember it? The first time we met."

"This old story again...!?"

She sounded grumpy. Well, she never was a fan of this story.

"You climbed up a tree in our garden and threw a caterpillar at me. What kind of lady does that?"

"I was only five years old at the time, though!?"

"And after I dove to catch you when you fell, you actually offered me another caterpillar as a thank you present. It wasn't even the same kind of caterpillar, were you hoarding them?"

"That was over ten years ago now, you know? Back then, I was a little..."

"I never thought that the girl from back then would ever become my mage."

Julian closed his eyes. He still remembered those days as a child in Mohnton.

The nostalgic sensation of miasma on the wind, the memories of his parents who were still alive back then. When the major families that were vassals to his father visited constantly, there was one girl who left an impression on him.

They never got to spend a lot of time together. But, still, she came to love Julian. And for Julian, an only child, she was like a real sister to him.

"I really was shocked when I heard your name, you know? To think that caterpillar obsessed girl would be playing such a pivotal role in the royal palace."

"...I did my best."

Her voice sounded defiant.

"I worked really hard to see you again, Lord Alois. So I studied magic and etiquette a lot."

"It feels like it's been a long time since you've called me by that name."

"Well, it's just now we're alone... Ah, sorry. I think I hear someone coming. Be quiet for a moment."

The voice on the other side of the wall suddenly took a serious tone. Even though Julian strained his ears, he couldn't hear anything. He couldn't hear the sound of a door opening, either.

– Are they coming to interrogate us again?

Looking up at the dark and featureless ceiling, Julian sighed.

The royal family, which has based their rule on peace and benevolence for many years, would want to do their best to avoid appearing harsh. So, for now, they were only being questioned. But, sooner or later, a decision would have to be made.