Gift

If someone had told me few months ago that I would be looking at my closet, wondering what should I wear for a date with my husband, I would have laughed at their face. I didn't have any knowledge on what happens on a date, neither what you wear for it. After staring at my same old clothes for another hour, I gave up. I wondered if I could ask Ru and instantly dropped the idea. She might be a friend now but I didn't want to make a fool out of myself by asking what I should wear on a date with my husband of 20 years.

I heard a knock at my door and  saw Ru holding 2 cups of tea in her hand.

"You busy?" she asked, pushing a mug towards me.

I looked back at the mess of my closet and sighed, "no, not really. Come in."

"Vikash went out for something. I don't know what. I was bored" she said entering my room.

She stopped short at the sight of my closet.

I thought maybe if I didn't talk about it, she wouldn't ask.

"What do you want to eat for lunch today?" I asked, hoping she would take the hint.

She did not take the hint.

"If you think I am going to just ignore that mess over there, you thought wrong." She said, putting her hands on her hips.

"What's going on?" she demanded.

I sighed. Honestly, Ru was my only hope, but I was hesitant asking her.

I was pondering on how to tell her when she said, "you might as well tell me now because I have my ways of finding out things", smirking.

That I believed. I might have not known her for a long time but once she wanted something, she would make heaven and hell together to complete it.

"I have a date" I said, my voice not reaching to my own ears.

"What?" she said, leaning towards me as I spoke so slowly.

"I have a date" I said, a little louder.

"You have a what?" she said, frowning.

"I have a date" I said. 

No, declared.

She didn't speak for a long time and just as I was preparing myself for a very Ru like response, she screamed.

"Aaah, you have a date? With Avishek? And you didn't tell me?" she yelled.

"I- i- I" I could not say anything.

"Did you figure out what you are going to wear?" she said, pacing the floor.

"Um, not yet" I mumbled.

"Maybe a long dress. Or a party gown. Or maybe a kurta" She mumbled to herself, still pacing the room.

I didn't even try to speak. I knew she could not hear me anyway.

"Oh, I know, I know" she exclaimed suddenly and went out of the room.

What the- I stared after her wondering what was happening.

She came back to the room with 3 bags with her.

"Okay, I initially planned to give you this tomorrow, but this is more important. I have something else to give you tomorrow anyway, so this wouldn't hurt." She said, thrusting the bags at me.

"Tomorrow?" I asked, confused.

"It's your birthday, woman" she said like I was an idiot.

"What? It's tomorrow?" I asked confused. With everything going on with Avishek lately, I had forgotten all about it.

"How did you know?" I asked her.

"Aunty told me", she smiled.

I knew mom and her, they talked, and it no longer bothered me.

"And you bought me gifts?" I asked, touched.

"You opened your house for me, a stranger, you helped me when I needed a friend a most, you helped me get my life back together. There is nothing in this world I could ever repay you for what you did for me" she said, holding my hand.

I was so touched; I was scared I would cry if I said anything.

"Dummy me, I made the situation emotional. Open it" she said, giddy again.

I shook my head and opened one of the bags. I gasped at the beautiful sari on my hands. It was bright red with golden embroydery,  soft as silk, looked very fancy yet simple and elegant but not heavy at all. 

"It's beautiful" I said, running my hands over it. 

"Vikash and I were shopping the other day and I instantly was reminded of you when I saw this." she said, smiling at me.

"Thank you" I said, touched she bought it for me. 

She just shook her head and said, "why don't you go try it on. You should wear it to your date today."

I didn't even bother arguing, just nodded. She went out of the room and closed the door. 

I nervously pulled on the sari, feeling unsettled as I did not often wear such fancy sari. I opened to door to see Ru pacing and stopped on her track as she eyes from top to bottom. 

"Man, if I swung the other way, there is no way we would make it out of the house today" she nodded. 

I gasped at her innuendo, cheeks going all red, and turned my  back. 

"Hey" she said, coming to the room. 

I turned towards hers, still flushed from her words. 

"I'm really glad to see you guys going a date." she said softly. 

"Me too" I said honestly. 

"Now, you get ready. I can't wait to see Avishek's reaction" she said, smirking and slowly backed out of the room waggling her eyebrows. 

Before I could chide her for her behavior she laughed and closed the door.

I didn't want to look at myself in the mirror. I was shy, nerves making my heart beat million times faster and thought I can't wait to see Avishek's reaction either. 

Hiii, I'm back. How are you guys? 

First of all, I didn't want to drag this pre-date any more further, but I've been so busy this past week, I can't figure out which day it is. I'm up to my eyeballs with the deadlines. I wrote this chapter just now, which is why I'm a bit late today. But I promise, next chapter will be their date. 

Which, by the way, what do you guys think will be? Also, this sparks my curiosity, what is your ideal date?

But anyway, this was all for today. I hope you guys liked it. Please leave a comment and vote if you did. 

I'll be back next week. 

Until then, be safe, stay healthy.