Chapter Thirty-Six

The last two weeks before graduation fly by too quickly. Kate's managed to weasel her way into Brendan's life again. He claims it's not how it seems. They aren't together. Of course, I can see that it's more than friendship they have together.

I try not to let it bother me. I have to move on from him. I have to leave him behind when I leave high school behind.

The ceremony is nice, but I'm ready to leave it behind. High school. Those four years of up and down. Highs and lows. I'm ready for that to end so I can continue to college.

I've been accepted to Pearlin University. I'll be out of state, figuring things out myself. It'll be good for me to meet new people and step out into the adult life.

Drew approaches me as I walk with my mom to the car once the graduation ceremony is officially finished.

"Lili!" He calls, rushing toward me, holding onto his cap tightly. "Lili, wait!"

I turn around, facing him. "What?"

"You've got to come over tonight," he says, out of breath from running. "I'm holding a final party for the class of 2016."

"I would love to, but-"

"She will be there," my mom finishes for me.

I raise my eyebrows at her. We were supposed to be going to Missouri to visit my aunt tonight, but I guess I won't be doing that after all.

"Thanks, Miss Carols," he nods politely to my mom.

"Course," my mom smiles brightly.

Drew turns around and starts running back towards the other side of the parking lot, but then he stops abruptly, facing me again.

"Eight o'clock, Lili! Be there!" He yells.

I give him a thumbs up, smiling in his direction. Maybe it will be nice to have one last immature night before the real life starts.

<•>•<•>

I'm ready by seven thirty, wearing simple black jeans and a white V neck. I curled my hair when I got bored, and my blonde hair falls down to my waist.

'Need a ride over?' -Brendan

'No.'

'Alright, I'll be there in five minutes, be ready.' -Brendan

'I hate you.'

'You couldn't possibly.' -Brendan

He's right. I could never hate him. I went by the other day and explained that his friendship was all I needed. Being together was never meant for us, I don't think. It wouldn't have worked out the way I would have liked.

The knock on my door comes all too soon, and I walk out into the darkening sky with Brendan at my side.

I'm about to open up the passenger side door, but then I realize that it's currently occupied. Kate sits there, scrolling on her phone. I take a deep breath in and resist the urge to reach my fist in there and knock her teeth out.

I pull open the back door and hop inside with a huff. Brendan starts the car, obviously not noticing my bother by his cute little companion. Was she invited or did she invite herself on this car ride?

"So," Kate says in a pleasant voice. Too pleasant. "Lili. You've been to many parties?"

"Not really," I reply calmly as I can.

"Pity," she says. "Is it just because you aren't hardly invited? Or are you naturally anti-social?"

Shut up, is what I want to say. Along with a nice flick to the back of her head. But I just let out a short breath and reply, "I'm not much of a partier, I guess."