11 - twenty questions, we tell the truth

SKYLAR

Taylor said we were driving to my mom's mom's house for the memorial service which made me even more nervous. Neither of us said anything at first and Taylor turned the radio on.

"Don't leave me," I blurted out suddenly when the first chorus of Ed Sheeran's Perfect ended.

"What?" Taylor asked, giving me a quick glance and looked back to the road.

"Please don't leave me alone there. I need you by my side the entire time. Even if one of us needs to go to the bathroom."

I could hear the slight panic in my voice, and I think she could too because she looked over with concern written across her face.

"Skye, I promise, I won't leave you. Would it be okay if we waited right outside the door though if we needed to go to the bathroom?"

My wide and panicked eyes answered her question and she smiled. "Okay, fine, you can follow me inside."

***

She pulled up outside a big, white and brown house with a garden, garage and a driveway. I gaped at the beautiful house until Taylor placed her hand on mine.

"Are you ready to go inside?" she asked and seemed to be searching my eyes for something, but I looked away and nodded.

I followed Taylor out of the car and immediately grabbed her hand as I came up next to her, and we started walking up to the front door together. She rang the doorbell and the door opened seconds later to reveal a young woman with dirty blond hair and blue eyes, her face showing similar features to mine. The woman's dull expression changed to look shocked as soon as she recognized Taylor, and I went to stand slightly behind Taylor.

"Hi, I'm Taylor, and this is Skye. We're here for Ellen's memorial service?"

I squeezed Taylor's hand anxiously as the woman nodded, her lips slightly parted. She stepped aside to let us in, and I was walking so close to Taylor it probably looked like I was glued to her side.

The woman seemed to get some sense back because she said, "Uhm, I'm Meghan, Ellen's little sister."

Now it was my turn to look shocked. Taylor looked down at me and pulled her hand away from mine to wrap her arm around my shoulders instead.

"How'd you know Ellen?" Meghan asked, her eyes darting between us.

"We didn't. Well, she was Skye's biological mom."

A very noticeable frown settled on Meghan's face as she looked down at me. "So you're Rowan's daughter?" she sneered. What had I ever done to her?

"Biological," I corrected quietly, pressing myself into Taylor's side.

I hated this. This was not how I had imagined I would meet my aunt. I had imagined her being super friendly and nice and happy to see me again.

"Right, well, he's in the kitchen if you wanna see him." She walked away from us without a second glance, and Taylor and I stared after her and then met each other's eyes.

"What was that about?" Taylor whispered to me with a smirk.

"She seemed mad," I mumbled back and Taylor pursed her lips to the side and raised her eyebrows.

"Not at you, you haven't done anything wrong," she assured me. "It was probably directed toward Rowan, if anyone. She didn't seem to like him very much."

We decided to find the kitchen and walked past a bunch of people who all stared at the two of us. Then, all of a sudden, there was a loud gasp and we looked up to see an old woman with platinum blond hair staring at us and covering her mouth with a wrinkled hand. It was weird because — while most people had been staring at Taylor — this woman was staring directly into my eyes. We held each other's gaze for a minute before she lowered her hand and I could see that her blue eyes were watery as if she was about to start crying.