𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭!

someone was banging on her door. her head pounding, iris rubbed her face and looked up, squinting against the light. she heard the front door click open as someone unlocked it, and leaned her head back onto the pillow. if she was to be murdered tonight, she might as well thank the intruder. anything to get rid of this headache.

keys clinked against the table outside, and she knew who it was. rowan. she remembered what he'd said to her last night and scowled.

he knocked on her door. she stuck up her middle finger. but he opened the door and she immediately hid her hand.

"morning, princess," he said. she opened her eyes and watched him as he placed a brown, paper bag on her desk. "got you lunch." he turned to her, and she could already see the uneasiness in his eyes. "it's three o' clock. have you not gotten out of bed?"

"thanks for the food," she said, rolling onto her side so she could turn her back to him.

"rose—" he began.

"thanks for the food," she repeated. "there's chocolate milk in the fridge. help yourself."

he walked around the bed and glared down at her. "iris, are we not going to talk about what happened?"

"no," she said simply, rolling onto her other side. he used her actual name. this was a serious situation. "i can't remember anything that happened yesterday."

"bullshit."

"you're bullshit."

he sighed through his nose, hands clenched at his sides. "fine. i'll be watching some TV."

"you do that."

"thanks."

"you're welcome." she closed her eyes again, praying that he'd leave. but before he could walk to the door, her phone started ringing on her nightstand. she recognized the ringtone and sat up—too quickly because the world spun around her and she closed her eyes again, hissing.

"i got it," rowan said, sauntering over to her nightstand.

"rowan, leave it—"

"daisy residence, how can i help you?" he asked. iris listened to the muffled sound of someone talking—someone unfamiliar—and opened her eyes just in time to see rowan frown. he turned to her, phone lowering. "who the hell is sap?"

her cheeks flushed. "friend i met. why?" it was clay's ringtone that she'd heard, so why was sap on the line?

rowan's brows pinched together. "he's asking if he can meet you somewhere. and if he can introduce you to someone named karl and alex to piss.... to piss piss-baby off?"

she stifled the smile that began to spread as she made grabby hands for the phone. but rowan took a step back.

"can i ask who're you?" he inquired. iris's jaw dropped. "okay...weird name to be honest.... what? why do you want to play minecraft with her? of all games?" rowan's face dropped. he turned towards her and asked sap in a much calmer voice, "who is clay?"

iris rolled her eyes and put her head in her hands. she heard sap laugh on the other end—nervously or mischievous, she couldn't tell.

"boyfriend?" rowan repeated, voice raised.

iris swung herself out of bed and ignored her pounding headache, snatched the phone out of rowan's hands, and said, "sap, what the hell are you doing?"

"oh, come on," he whined. "he deserved it. rowan's a piece of shit and he sounds like one."

"what if he could hear you right now?"