17. moody

1996

"Did you find them?" Aro growled as soon as he returned to the throne room, his thunderous voice echoing off the stone walls. He wasn't happy about being called away from Claire, but this was very important.

The kings had agreed to find the Cullens, despite what their mate would say. Even if they didn't get to destroy the stupid boy that broke Claire's heart, they needed to keep a closer eye on them. Carlisle's coven was large, and with Claire's information, they knew it was also full of powerful gifts.

Alec, Jane's twin brother, had been given the task of attempting to find them through other vampires and covens. Alec wasn't a tracker, but Dimitri had been assigned to Claire's protection detail and none of the kings deemed their hunt more important than Claire's safety. Sending Alec had its own advantages; his power to take away all of your senses was quite terrifying, and no one wanted to be on the receiving end of his eerie, dark mist.

Alec was kneeling in front of the three thrones, his head dipped to the kings. Aro quickly took his seat, on the centre throne. His brothers were sitting in their own throne's, stone-faced, as they waited for the information they had been desperately waiting for.

"Well?" he encouraged the young boy, though he was still frustrated.

Alec kept his eyes glued to the ground, afraid that the news he brings would upset his masters.

"I could not find them. They don't seem to keep contact with any established covens, or any nomads."

Aro cut him off with an irritated snarl. "So, you have nothing? Useless."

Marcus rolled his eyes at his brother's attitude. Always so dramatic.

"Please, go on Alec," he encouraged, sending the boy a friendly smile. His relationship with most of the guard had evolved, he was friendlier to them and in return, they were less closed off and sometimes came to him with queries.

"I was able to find Eleazer and his coven. The Cullens sometimes stay with them in Alaska, but they haven't seen them for a year or so," Alec told them, his voice wavering slightly as he was unsure if that information would help them.

Aro hummed in contemplation, while Caius and Marcus shared a meaningful look.

"Where in Alaska, Alec?" Caius asked. He had become more patient with the guard over the last week. Claire's influence, her welcoming and calm aura, seemed to have rub off on him. She settled his soul, and he was grateful for it.

"Denali," the young vamp answered.

"You may go," Marcus dismissed him before rising from his seat, coming around to face his brothers.

"Perhaps a visit is in order?" Aro mused.

"We'd have to put up a united front, so none of us could stay with Claire," Caius reasoned. "We could bring her. She is from Alaska, maybe she wants to visit home. I know she misses the Malloys."

Claire had mentioned to Caius and Marcus in passing that she wished to see the two people that showed her unwavering support again, but she didn't want to leave Italy because it would feel like leaving part of herself behind.

Marcus and Aro nodded in agreement. They didn't like the thought of leaving her behind, but the Cullens did break the rules and if the three of them weren't seen together handling it, they could be perceived as weak.

"So, we invite her. Perhaps visit a few allies afterwards? She did cut her travels short to stay here, with us," Marcus suggested. "Introducing her to our... friends would put her in their good graces, allow her to learn about the intricacies of political relations. She's a smart woman, and a fast learner. She'd flourish."