Chapter Eleven

Clarice was walking the halls after her study period when she bumped into Harry... who had his ear to the wall.

"Mr. Potter, what are you doing?" Clarice asked the boy who immediately straightened up.

"Nothing." He quickly said, Clarice knew he was lying. She went over and pressed her ear to the wall where he did, but didn't hear a thing.

"What were you listening for?" She asked him.

"Nothing." He said again.

"Harry, do I need to tell Professor McGonagall you're not in study hall and wandering the corridors with your ear glued to the wall?" She asked him. "What did you hear?"

"I... I heard someone talking." He admitted.

"And what were they saying?" She asked him as they began walking down the corridor and made a turn.

"It said...." Harry trailed off and stopped dead in his tracks. Clarice quickly strode over and gasped when she saw what was in front of her. Sir Nicholas was floating mid air... as if he was petrified. And behind him was Justin laying on the ground. Her eyes laid upon the heap of spiders that were trying to exit the castle. Very peculiar, she had never seen spiders act that way before.

"Caught in the act Potter?" A low voice behind them said. The two of them turned around and saw Filch standing in the doorway. He quickly walked away before either of them could explain anything.

"Please don't tell anyone I heard a voice. Please Professor Bates?" Harry pleaded.

"Harry, that is serious. We can't just ignore that." Clarice said, but knew she wouldn't tell anyone, except maybe Albus and Severus. Bad things happen to wizards who claim they can hear voices. They heard a pair of heels coming and Clarice put her hand on Harry's shoulder ready to defend him from the accusations Filch was going to throw at him. Professor McGonagall turned the corner and gasped.

"Professor, I swear I didn't-" Harry began.

"I can vouch for Harry. He's been with me Minerva. He couldn't have done this." She said, but Minerva looked extremely concerned. She knew the boy couldn't have possibly petrified a ghost.

"This is out of my hands Potter." She said. "Clarice, can you escort him to Dumbledores office?"

"Of course, let's go," Clarice said and lead the way to his office. "Sherbet Lemon."

The pair made their way up and was shocked to find it dark and empty.

"Where is he?" Harry asked her.

"How should I know. I'm just as clueless as you." She laughed. "Let's just wait."

Clarice took a seat and looked at one of his magazines he had by the chair. Knitting patterns?

She didn't notice Harry go over to the sorting hat and have a conversation with it. She did notice when he went over to the brightly colored bird who immediately turned into ash. They boy look terrified.

"Harry? Professor Bates?" Dumbledore questioned while coming up.

"Professor. Your bird. There was nothing I could do." Harry said.

"Harry it's okay. Phoenixes do that. He'll come back in a minute or two as a baby." Clarice spoke gently. They watched as a little head poked out from the ashes.

"Fascinating creatures they are." Dumbledore said.

"They can carry immensely heavy loads. Their tears have healing powers." He informed Harry. Suddenly the door bursted open and Hagrid came in carrying a dead chicken. Gross.

"Professor Dumbledore sir. Wait, Harry didn't do this. I'd swear it in front of the ministry." He shouted and Dumbledore put his hand up to stop him.

"Hagrid! Relax. I do not believe Harry attacked anyone." Dumbledore said and Hagrid silently left. "Is there anything you wish to tell me Harry?"

"No sir," Harry contemplated telling him, but Clarice knew he wouldn't.

"Very well then. Off you go." Dumbledore said and Harry quickly left.

"There's something he's not telling us." Dumbledore said to Clarice.

"Professor, there is something you should know." She said quietly.

"You may call me Albus when it's just us dear." He said.

"Albus... It's actually something I've been trying to piece together myself and after tonights events, I think I may have figured it out." Clarice said.

"Go on," He said.

"Well, you know how Harry can talk to snakes right? He's a parseltongue." She said and Dumbledore only nodded.

"Well tonight he told me heard something in the walls. Saying that it was going to kill somebody. Then we see Sir Nicholas and Justin petrified. Colin and Mrs. Norris also... Hagrid has been complaining about something killing all of his chickens. There's heaps of spiders leaving the scene from the petrifications. It just... it's the only thing that makes sense. Albus, I think there's a basilisk in the castle." She ranted on a bit and shocked herself when she finally said what's been lingering in her mind.

"I mean, the Chamber of Secrets was made by Slytherin himself. Of course, he would use the most giant and deadliest snake to guard it. Right?" She asked him.

"Now tell me Clarice, how did you figure this out before anyone else?" He asked her.

"Did you know it was a basilisk?" She questioned him back.

"Indeed. We mustn't tell anyone or else it will get back to the students. We can't have them frightened and send owls to their families." He said and Clarice couldn't believe that this man was trying to protect his reputation over the lives of the students. She quickly stood up and exited his office without even saying good bye. She was absolutely livid and walked right into the greenhouse and slammed the door.

"My my. Are we in a mood or what?" She heard his voice and it somehow made her calm down almost immediately.

"What do you need?" She said a little meaner then intended.

"I can leave." He stood up.

"Please don't. I actually need to tell you something. Did you need something in here though?" She asked him.

"I came to talk to you. I thought you'd be in here, but was worried when I saw you weren't. You said you'd be here after our last study period." He said.

"That's why I need to talk to you actually." She said and explained everything that had just happened to her.

"A basilisk?" He questioned.

"It just makes sense. Dumbledore even confirmed it!" She exclaimed. "He doesn't want anyone to know, but he's lucky no one has been killed!"

"He doesn't want the ministry to find out. Lucius is trying to get him sacked. This is something that would actually do the trick." Severus said.

"I don't want him to get sacked, I just wish he'd close the school while we get rid of the thing!" She said. "Are we just gonna wait it out?"

"He must have some kind of plan," Severus muttered.

"I don't know. It's just really odd." She said. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Oh it's nothing actually." He said and quickly exited the greenhouse. They hadn't been talking much since the amortentia incident. She confessed she smelled him and after that, it was like they were avoiding each other and only spoke during their classes.

She couldn't help but wonder if she'd been wrong to tell him. They hadn't been having their usual tea time together. Clarice had been spending her free time with Hagrid when she could use a cup of tea, except he always tried giving her rock cakes which were horrible. She'd gotten herself tied up with Lockhart on more than one occasion and Severus didn't even step in to help her. She really did miss him and she had to find a way to get him to talk to her again.