1. Her Pure Ambitions

"Lady Verena Zielle?"

Despite the frigid atmosphere he projected with his gaze, his crimson eyes shone brightly.

His lustrous golden hair, on the other hand, was well-tamed for someone who was continuously at war.

"I deeply apologize for the interruption in the middle of your affairs, Your Highness."

I smiled as I bowed politely to Azazel von Elysian, the Elysian Empire's second prince.

"Raise your head, Lady Verena. What is it that has drawn the Lady of the Zielle Household to my humble palace?"

Azazel's piercing crimson eyes peered at me, a glimmer of surprise in them, but his speech was absolutely monotone.

I raised my head and chuckled as I placed my hand on the chest.

"Your Highness, you're far too humble. It's such a lovely palace."

"Forget the formalities. What has brought you here?"

His eyes grew colder as he stared down at me.

With a confident look on my face, I straightened up and walked toward him.

(He's as forthright as ever.)

"Your Highness, what do you think about working together with me?"

"... What?"

"Unlike my step-siblings, I am the sole child of the Zielle Dukedom who inherits the blood of the Zielle family."

My statement was entirely accurate.

My mother, who is from the Zielle family, married my father, who is just a lowly baron.

But when she passed away, he gained the title of the Duke and married another woman.

So much for being grateful.

"Therefore, I ask of you to marry me."

His eyes widened as he was taken aback.

"Marry you, you say?"

"Yes. The benefit is that you, as my husband, will automatically gain the support of my family, the Dukedom of Zielle."

The Emperor did not favor Azazel because he was an illegitimate child and didn't support him as the second prince. Naturally, Azazel doesn't have many supporters in the noble circles.

But I know for sure he has great supporters within the armies, considering he was always sent to war and brought victories.

Though he was sent to war because the Empress wanted him to die.

How unfortunate.

"Then what benefit do you gain by marrying me?"

A gust of wind rippled through Azazel's golden hair.

"I will help you become the Emperor. In return, make me your Empress by becoming the Emperor."

His eyes sharpened as I continued my sentences. But my smile didn't fade away to convince him that I'm confident the plan will work.

"I want everyone at my feet."

I smiled at him confidently as I extended my hand to him.

"........."

His eyes scrutinize me, attempting to figure out what's going on inside my head.

His piercing gaze highlighted the distance between us.

Then, he stood up from his seat and walked over to me, standing right in front of me.

(Azazel... )

His blonde hair complemented the sunlight flowing through the windows.