Chapter 57 ~ Dreams

Dylan spooned a bit of beef stew into her mouth and chewed it slowly, praying that the food would stay down.

'It's not as good as potato soup, but it's still nice.'

The news that Edwin was sick and suffering made her anxious, but she hated being left in the dark far more. Unless she ate well, she was forbidden from seeing him. So she forced herself to finish the food on her plate.

Delicately dabbing her mouth, she laid her napkin aside and looked at Katrina with clear eyes. "May I go now? I've eaten most of my food."

Katrina gave her an encouraging smile, then quickly looked down at her plate and bowl. "Very good, milady," she said, clapping her hands together happily. "I brought you some dresses. Which one would milady like to wear?"

Dylan nodded approval at the first gown the maid held out and let the woman dress her. It felt weird being helped by someone other than Mina or Jessie.

"May I send a letter to Faerchester?" she asked, while the maid fastened a long row of tiny buttons down the back of the gown. "I can imagine how worried my people must be."

"Master Edwin already sent for them."

"He did?" she asked. 

"Yes, a carriage was sent for—"

A loud, firm knock on the door interrupted the conversation. And immediately the maid went to check who was knocking.

"Milady, Sir Laikin de Frederique is here," she announced.

"Let him in, Katrina."

Katrina opened the door to admit the visitor. He really was good looking. And, my God, he had the most beautiful blue eyes. Ones that were so beautiful, that no one noticed the wicked look hidden in them. 

"Good afternoon," he said, taking in her appearance. He looked at the maid. "That will be all."

The maid nodded and closed the door behind her.

"Good morning, sir."

A flicker of discontent crossed his face. Then, without warning, he pulled her into a fierce hug. Being near her, but not being able to hold her nearly drove him insane. He couldn't possibly think of marrying someone else. Not when he was so enamoured with Dylan. 

"Laikin." Dylan hesitated. "Are you okay? You're acting different than usual."

"You're beautiful," he said, and meant it. Her hair was pure gold, far more precious than any golden treasure in the world. Her long lashes fluttered with every breath she drew. Her skin shone like delicate porcelain, her cheeks brushed with a hint of rose.

Both her hands hung limp at her sides. After a moment, she hesitantly slid her arms around him.

"I'm going away for a bit," Laikin said in a half whisper to her as they remained in an embrace, arms wrapped around one another. "I need to fix something. I'll be back soon, okay?"

Laikin felt her trying to pull away, so he hugged her tighter than she had ever felt. So tight she could feel his heart beat matching the pace and intensity of her own.

They stood like that for a long minute, then Laikin straightened suddenly and pulled away. "I'll be back," he said softly. "Don't do anything rash while I'm away."

"I won't," she chuckled. "You're silly."

"Promise?"

"Yes." She smiled comfortingly at him. "I'll take care of things here. Don't worry."