Episode 14: cALifOrNia

IT WAS ONLY 3:30 but it felt like the longest day I've had in a while.

I had a long call with a representative of New York University about opening a fund. The rest of the office arrived on time. They had actually been leaving me alone, for the most part at least.

I felt it coming soon though, they could only be decent in short periods of time. It's like they were incapable of being good people.

Lincoln was looking at me while chewing the end of his pen. "So what? You go missing for a week and now you're hot?" Lincoln said. Mathew's head whipped up to look at me. "Hot? Maybe, I think she's more cute then hot, like one of those chubby little hamsters," Mathew said. I stayed quiet trying to ignore them. "Oh come on! That was funny Lora!" Mathew chuckled.

Mr. Hill's office door opened for the first time since morning. Some faxes came in for Marcus and when I went to put them on his desk I saw some bank statements, the California deal was now worth 5.8 billion and going up.

They were meeting with a new benefactor who just joined the deal on the phone. They had been locked in that meeting for hours, he must have been putting out a lot more money.

After the door swung open Marcus stepped out. His blazer was off, his sleeves rolled up, biceps bulging.

He made eye contact with me. "Lora, come here," He said. I shot up out of my seat straightening my skirt. "There's some faxes for you, do you want to take a look at them?" I asked. "Oh, yes. Bring them," He said. I walked over and got them from his desk then made my way to Mr.Hill's office.

Marcus stepped aside and held the door open for me. He was looking at me as I stepped in.

"Hello Lora! Have a seat," Mr. Hill said. I sat on the chair in front of Mr. Hills desk. There was only one so Marcus stood behind me. "How are you today?" Mr. Hill smiled. "...I'm ok," I said. Mr. Hill looked at Marcus then back at me.

"Do you like warm weather?" He asked. I nodded. "Good, cause your going to California," He said. My mouth parted open before I could even think of something to say.

"With Marcus of course, we need two capable hands down there this is looking to be the biggest deal in the history of the firm," He explained. "You were the obvious choice because you're the second most capable employee I have," Mr. Hill said.

"Wow, I-uh don't know what to say," I said. "Thank you," I smiled.

A trip to California with Marcus?

Who was standing behind my chair not saying anything. Marcus was resting his hand on the back of the chair, his fingers reached out and gently stoke the back of my neck.

"Great! You're on board! You leave a day from now," Mr. Hill said. "Sorry it's short notice, but this new benefactor want to meet in person as soon as possible," He added.

"How long?" I asked. "Only three days," Mr. Hill said. "You leave in the morning and come back at night," He said. "Plane tickets already purchased we just need to book the rooms and give you a company card for any expenses you might have during the trip," He added.

"I can handle that," Marcus chimed in. "Perfect!" Mr. Hill said.

"Any questions?" Mr. Hill asked. "Will I be curating contacts and solidifying negotiations?" I asked. "Yes, but you'll be working under Marcus. He'll show you the ropes on securing high level clients," Mr. Hill said.

Marcus stepped away and walked to lean on the edge of the desk.

"It's different from acquiring assets, negotiating over property or buying stocks," He started. That's what I did on a daily basis. "This is something you can't buy, this is something you're trying to sell," Marcus said.

"Do you know what your selling?" He asked stuffing his hands into his pockets. I thought for a moment, sales is something I was familiar with.

I shook my head no.

The corner of his mouth tugged into a smile. He looked so calm today. But it was always hard to tell with him, I never knew what was going on underneath.

"You're selling yourself, or more so Stinefield but you are Stinefield. You represent the firm out there and you have to sell what our firm represents," He said. Marcus seemed more relaxed then his usual poised self as he spoke to me. "Do you know what we represent?" He asked.

"Wealth," He said.

"We represent wealth Lora," He started again. "And do you know how hard it is to sell wealth to the wealthy? You need to sell prestige, you need to be a shark," He said. "So this guy's a big deal?" I asked. "Huge deal but that's just what we do, Hedge funds do high risk investing, that's how we make most of our money," Mr. Hill jumped in to explained.

I got nervous. I knew that, I just never had a chance to do much high risk investing.

"I need to be a shark?" I asked. "Yes, you need to be able to talk business at the big boy's table," Mr. Hill responded.

"Can you handle that?"

-

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME!"

Ricky yelled over the phone. "California? In a fucking day? We do not have time to shop for this!" Ricky continued. "I'll bring over some clothes from my closet and we'll pick the outfits from there," Charlotte added.

We were on a three way call and I had just told them about the California trip

with Marcus.

"She needs lingerie Charlotte, we have to go to the store," Ricky said. "Lingerie?" I asked. "You're going on a three day getaway with Marcus fucking Dane tell me with a straight face right now that you have no desire to fuck him and we'll back off," He said. I stayed quiet. "...I mean," I said.

"Exactly, this is your chance Lora! and we're gonna help you look and feel your best so when it happens you can enjoy it as much as you should," He started. "No self loathing or feeling bad about yourself," He added. "You're a savvy business bitch with money and a career, you're a catch! You just have to feel good in your own skin Lora," He finished.

I just needed to feel good in my own skin.

"Fuckkkk! You're gonna fuck Marcus Dane!" Ricky yelled. I laughed "It's not a guarantee," I said. "Oh please!, you're gonna be alone with him on a three day getaway, staying at the same hotel and you know how Marcus feels about you," Charlotte chimed.

sit you on my tongue

I felt chills run through me as I thought about it. "We're meeting with potential investors," I said. "Yes, and that means you have time outside those meetings, you and Marcus will have plenty of time," Charlotte said.

"We're coming over to help you pack and take you shopping, you're going to be the baddest business bitch Marcus Dane has ever seen," Ricky said.

I smiled. My friends were really my rock. After the meeting with Mr. Hill and Marcus the day went smoothly. I felt like I was walking in air, it finally felt like my hard work was really recognized with this opportunity.

Mr. Hill even said I was the second most capable in the office.

After work I came home and got a call from Ricky and Charlotte.

DINGDONG

The door bell rang.

I walked across my apartment to open the door.

My smile faded as I saw the person behind it, even when I'm winning I still had to lose.

"Jordan?" I called my brothers name in confusion. I looked down he was holding a small suit case. "What are you doing here?"