19 - Here

Trigger Warning: Self-harm (hair pulling)

- - -

"You really think this trip is a good idea?"

Our two week break was coming up soon, midterms coming and passing without a chance for us to breathe. My last exam was tomorrow afternoon, this one being the most significant since it was for my major class. I had spent the entire day today studying my ass off for it, Dean helping me go over the information with his meticulous flashcards before I had gone over the review package my prof had given the entire class.

Vanessa had called us today asking us about going on a trip with the rest of the group, her parents owning a family cabin near a resort. She had told us that usually her and her family would go there for a week or two every year, however due to everyone's busy schedules they didn't have time to make it so they offered it to us.

I laid flat on Dean's bed with my head lolled over to the side, tired, watching him pick out his sleeping clothes so we could watch a movie together. He knew how stressed I was, especially since he had done all of his exams and knew that if I wasn't distracted, I would most likely stay up all night tossing and turning.

Ever since our small argument, the topic of therapy was never brought up again. I was glad our small strain was done with, missing him more than ever. The first thing I had done the next day was come home and hug him, and we stayed cuddling that entire night until I fell asleep.

"It could be fun," He shrugged. "And it would get your mind off of things."

I frowned to myself, moving my head so I was staring at the ceiling. He did have a point and I had never gone on vacation before, maybe it would be fun.

"What would we do?"

"Relax, go swimming, maybe cook together. I think the resort has spas and stuff but I'm not exactly sure. I can ask V tomorrow if you want."

"Have you been there before?"

"No, but ever since I've known Vanessa she has gone every year for as long as she can remember. Some type of family tradition I believe. Her parents are big on that."

"Family trips to the resort?"

"Traditions," He said, amused. "They have at least ten of them. Each one weirder than the last."

I smiled at that, thinking of her and her family close enough to stick with them consistently. "I think that's nice. Adorable, actually."

"You're adorable. Their traditions? Not so much."

I sat up on my forearms, grinning wide at Dean. "You think I'm adorable?"

He walks over to me, clothes in hand as he presses a quick kiss to my lips. "The cutest." He murmurs against my mouth, pulling back and heading over to his bathroom.

I sigh in content, laying back down as a blush rises on my cheeks. The little things, I think, are starting to matter the most to me now. As my relationship grows closer with Dean, I'm starting to understand why he wanted to take us slow. So we could learn each other, like each other for more than just our looks and bodies.

A short while later he emerged, tossing his clothes in the hamper before walking over to me. I remained staring at the ceiling as I felt him near, climbing on the bed and laying next to me. He does that a lot too, just sit or lay beside me. Some of our best conversations happen like that, from discussing something small as a television show or going in depth about a new romance book I made him read. His bookshelf was expanding exponentially, more and more being added to his collection.