Chapter 102

One week later.....

"Hng..."

Tears fell like pearls from the emerald green eyes.

"Why? Just why does it have to be me?"

Ann's voice was hoarse from crying. The tears on the edge of her eyes glided down as she fluttered her eyelids.

"Is this Ok?"

"Why is she crying?"

"Should we help?"

The people around watched the scene without being able to interfere or utter a word. They whispered for a while but soon scattered away after one look from Raeden.

*sniff* *sniff*

"Even my parents didn't make me cry so much?" Ann complained, wiping the tears on her face with the back of her hand holding a small knife.

It was night time and everybody had gathered in groups to prepare dinner. Naturally, the Nero mercenaries were huddled together in a circle in front of a small fire, with each member on a different duty.

Having camped fifteen miles away from the border city of Velven, Therren, the group was preparing their meals at the end of a long day.

"Just why am I the one on onion duty again!?" Ann exclaimed, peeling the onion in her hand.

No matter what world or universe it was, the only thing that could make even the strongest and unbeatable beings shed tears was none other than a vegetable, an onion.

"Because you suck at everything else"

Noah stated the obvious and threw an onion into the basket near Ann's feet containing the unpeeled onions.

"Stop making a big deal out of it"

Ever since the start of the journey, Ann had been mostly assigned to prepare the ingredients for dinner rather than be part of the actual cooking. Although she had volunteered to prepare the meal, the twins had strongly opposed the idea and sent her back with a basket of onions to peel.

"I can't believe you couldn't even take this much. Here, have another one" Oliver grinned and tossed another onion into the pile, earning a glare from Ann in return.

"Everyone is doing something. So stop whining and start peeling"

"You guys are so mean! Waah.."

Ann turned to Eugene sitting opposite to her and whined. Since Eugene was the primary cook, she wanted him to take her side.

"Eugene... They are doing this on purpose" Ann sobbed, as tears continued to trickle down her cheeks.

"Haah...." Eugene sighed and caved in, unable to avoid her pleading gaze.

"Fine"

For the past thirty minutes, the number of onions that had been peeled was not more than five. If he did not interfere now, they would be starving instead of having dinner tonight.

"Jade. You peel the onions"

"What? Why?" Jade rebutted.

"Too slow"

Ann walked up to Jade and dropped the onion basket on his hands, before dusting off her hands. She noticed Raeden sitting in the corner with a bag of potatoes and decided to join him.

"Then I'll do the potatoes"

"No!"

Eugene screamed and stopped Ann from taking another step.