Chapter 3.1 (Part 2)

Lady Hillsborough eyed Felix's unyielding back with a frown. Then she turned to the woman beside her. She had already formed a high opinion of Miss Fleming. What was even more to the point, being considerably more than seven, Amelia had also perceived that her reprehensible nephew was far from indifferent to the luscious beauty. Meeting the grey-green eyes her ladyship raised her brows. Margaret nodded and rose.

   Felix turned as Margaret laid her hand on his arm. She was watching her sisters, not him. Her voice, when she spoke, was tactfully lie. "If it would truly bother you to stand as our guardian, I'm sure we could make some other arrangement." As she finished speaking, she raised her eyes to his.

   Accustomed to every feminine wile known to woman, Felix nevertheless could see nothing in the lucent grey eyes to tell him whether the offer was a bluff or not. But it only took s moment to realize that if he won this particular argument, if he succeeded in withdrawing as guardian to the Fleming sisters, Margaret Fleming would be largely removed from his orbit. Which would certainly make his seduction of her more difficult, if joy impossible. Faced with those large grey-green eyes, Felix did what kind of the habitués of Gentleman Watson's boxing salon had yet seen him do. He threw in the towel.

   Having resigned himself to the inevitable, Felix departed, leaving the ladies to become better acquainted. As the street door closed behind him, Lady Hillsborough turned a speculative glance on Margaret. Her lips twitched. "Very well done, my dear. Clearly you need no lessons in how to manage a man."

   Margaret's smile widened. "I've had some experience, I'll admit."

   Well, you'll need it all if you're going to tackle my nephew." Amelia grinned in anticipation. From where she sat, her world looked rosy indeed. Not only did she have four rich beauties to fire off, and unlimited funds to do it with, but, glory of glories, for the first time since he had emerged from short coats her reprehensible nephew was behaving in a less than predictable fashion. She allowed herself a full minute to revel in the wildest of imaginings, before settling down to extract all the pertinent details of their backgrounds and personalities from Fleming sisters. The younger girls returned when the tea-tray arrived. By the time it was removed, Lady Hillsborough had satisfied herself on all points of interest and the conversation moved on to their introduction of the ton.

   "I wonder whether news if your existence has leaked out yet," mused her ladyship. "Someone may have seen you at Guile's."

   "Lady Humphrey saw me yesterday with Felix in his curricle," said Margaret.

   "Did she?" Amelia sat up straighter. "In that case, there's no benefit in dragging our heels. If Silence already has the story, the sooner you make your appearance, the better. We'll go for a drive in the Park tomorrow." She ran a knowledgeable eye over the sisters' dressed. "I must say, your dresses are very attractive. Are they all like that?"

   Reassured in their wardrobes, she nodded. "So there's nothing to stop us wading into the fray immediately. Good!" She let her eyes wander over the four faces in front of her, all beautiful yet each with its own allure. Her gaze rested on Emma. "You—Emma, isn't it? You're eighteen?"

   Emma nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

   "If that's so, then there's no reason for us to be missish," returned her ladyship. "I assume you all wish to find husbands?"

   They all nodded decisively.

   "Good! At least we're all in agreement over the objective. Now for the strategy. Although your sudden appearance all together is going to cause a riot. I rather think that's going to be the best way to begin. At the very least, we'll be noticed."

   "Oh, we're always noticed!" returned Maribella, hazel eyes twinkling.

   Amelia laughed. "I dare say." From any other young lady, the comment would have earned a reproof. However, it was impossible to deny the Fleming sisters were rather more than green girls it was pointless to pretend they did not fully comprehend the effect they had on the opposite sex. To her ladyship's mind, it was a relief not to have to hedge around the subject.

   "Aside from anything else," she continued thoughtfully, "your public appearance as the Duke of Twyford's wards will make it impossible for Felix to renege on his decision." Quite why she was so very firmly set on Felix fulfilling his obligations she could not have said. But his guardianship would keep him in contact with Miss Fleming. At that, she had a shrewd suspicion, would be a very good thing.