Chapter 11: Psychopomp

;)))))))

Make sure to drop a vote to support my writing and leave me a zillion comments to read through as I evilly grin and read them all. Thank you so much for sharing and supporting this story!!! :D

 My breath caught in my throat.

Caito's white robe was almost ethereal against the blue hues of the nightmarish arena, his hands calmly clasped behind his back. 

In my mind, the clock had struck twelve. Now I was faced the consequences forced promise to save Death.

"I must say, I am profoundly impressed with your efforts, Faith Williams," Caito said, taking a step toward Ace and me. "I thought I might find you torn to a thousand pieces by the warp of the Unknown."

"I appreciate the strong confidence in me," I drawled sarcastically.

Ace looked between me and Caito, confused. "And you are?" he asked Caito.

Caito's posture grew rigid and almost military like as he acknowledged Ace with a cold look.

 "Caito. Guardian of the Unknown."

He really loved that title of his.

Ace's eyes swept over Caito's figure. "There is no Guardian of the Unknown."

"It is self-proclaimed." Caito smiled, although it didn't reach his eyes, before turning his body slightly toward Ace. "I was wondering when we might cross paths in this realm, Kalace."

"I didn't know I had a fan," Ace quipped. "Would you like an autograph?"

"Ace," I muttered, the graveness of this situation giving me anxiety. "He's here for me."

Ace laughed. "Is he, now?"

"Yes, I am," Caito answered. "We had a deal. And you would be wise to stay out of it." Caito snapped his fingers, and suddenly the large coin he had given me appeared in his hand, although it appeared smaller now.

"You're telling me that giant ass hockey puck you made me carry was a normal coin all this time?" I asked.

"That coin," Ace said with, suddenly losing his cocky attitude. "That is an obol."

Caito turned the coin over between his fingers, "Indeed. My ancient coins have great power. They can be used to cross through this divided realm."

Ace paled significantly. "The fee of the ferryman."

Caito grinned. "Indeed." He flipped the coin in his hand, and just like that, the arena washed away around us. My eyes widened as the forest where I first landed in the Unknown unveiled itself, the gloomy sky above crackling with lightning. "I am afraid I have lied to you, Faith Williams. My name is not Caito. It is Charon."

"Merde," Ace muttered.

"Okay, what the fuck is going on?" I demanded.

"He's the Ferryman of Hades," Ace said, his voice hoarse. "He guide the dead to the afterlife."

"Not anymore," Charon sighed. "Not since I was replaced by another deity and cast away into the Unknown. For my own reasons, I try not to travel through the warps of past time. One can get tangled and sick of the mind so easily here. When you told me the Angel of Death's soul was stuck the in-between, I figured I'd give you a chance for my own amusement. I didn't think in a thousand years you'd actually survive."