⤷ 21| GOODBYE

chapter twenty-one : goodbye

☆ ☆ ☆

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC

Dolores Jane Umbridge (High Inquisitor) has replaced Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-eight.

Signed:
Cornelius Oswald Fudge,
Minister for Magic

The notices had gone up all around the school overnight, but they did not explain how every single person within the castle seemed to know that Dumbledore had overcome two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister for Magic and his Junior Assistant to escape. No matter where June went within the castle, the sole topic of conversation was Dumbledore's flight, and though some of the details may have gone awry in the retelling (Juniper overheard one second-year girl assuring another that Fudge was now lying in St Mungo's with a pumpkin for a head) it was surprising how accurate the rest of their information was. Everybody knew, for instance, that Harry, June and Marietta were the only students to have witnessed the scene in Dumbledore's office and, as Marietta was not in the hospital wing, Harry and June found themselves besieged with requests to give a firsthand account.

"Dumbledore will be back before long," Cedric told her when they were patrolling together one night after listening intently to June's story. "They couldn't keep him away in our fourth year and they won't be able to this time. The Fat Friar told me —" he dropped his voice while looking around for anyone who might listen to their conversation "— that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her." Cedric smiled. "Apparently, she had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office," June said, grinning. "Poor her, she won't have her throne now."

Cedric grimaced. "Be careful she doesn't hear you or you'll get expelled after all."

"At this point, I don't really care anymore," June confessed. "I just want to give her a piece of her own medicine."

"Don't we all?"

☆ ☆ ☆

The next day, Juniper found herself staring at the giant hourglasses which recorded the house-points. She could have sworn Gryffindor and Ravenclaw had been neck and neck in the lead that morning. Even as she watched, stones flew upwards, reducing the amounts in the lower bulbs. In fact, the only glass that seemed unchanged was the emerald-filled one of Slytherin.