24. This Town

"Hey." I hear from next to me. 

"Hey, Princess." 

I frown. I thought I graduated from Princess to Olive. 

I groan. 

I feel a soft kiss on my forehead and open my eyes. 

I'm leaning on Aron's shoulder as he drives the car through a beautifully sunlit street. 

"We're almost there." He says. 

I shoot up. 

"Really?" 

Aron nods. 

"Just about twenty more minutes or so." 

That's crazy..  I look out the window at the scenes passing us. I know this street. I remember this. It hasn't changed at all.

"How do you feel?"

"Fine." I say as my stomach somersaults. 

"We should probably go to a hotel first and—"

"I wanna go straight to the school. I need to know if he still works there." 

"What? Are you ready to see him right now?" 

I stay quiet. It's not like I'll ever be. 

"How about calling the school first?" 

"No. I want to go in there anyway. I need to see it again." I wonder if I'll remember more. I wonder if it'll help me heal. 

Aron sighs. "Alright." 

When we pull up to the school it's lunch break. All the kids are playing outside on the playground. It hasn't changed at all. Not one bit. 

Aron and I step out of the car and approach the school building. 

As we walk by some of the kids stare at us like we're aliens. 

I guess we do look a little different. I'm sure in this small town these kids have never seen someone with ripped jeans or... someone as hot as Aron. Now that I think about it these kids look like they're from 2005. That's how they're dressed anyway. I guess this town really never changes. 

I walk into the building and it feels like it's my first day of school again. I get more nervous as I walk through the empty hallway. Aron grabs my hand in support. 

Then we spot a woman behind a counter. She gives us a strange look and then her eyes lower to our intertwined fingers. 

I pull my hand away. 

"Can I help you?" The woman recovers from the shock and plasters on her best fake smile. She has a strong southern accent. 

ONE I DON'T HAVE, FOR THE RECORD.

"Yes. We're looking for a Mr. Sanders. Neil Sanders." Aron says. 

I'm amazed he remembered his full name after I only told him once. 

"He used to teach here four years ago." 

I stay quiet and carefully watch the secretary's reaction. 

"Oh yes! That is correct. He doesn't teach here anymore. He had an early retirement due to health problems, I believe."  The secretary smiles. 

My shoulders slump. Did we come all the way out here for nothing?

"Do you know where he lives?" Aron asks. 

The woman gives him a sympathetic look. "I'm not at liberty to discuss it. I'm sorry."