Chapter 73

Her eyes were closed as if she were sleeping. She looked as defiant and peaceful as the night he'd left her for dead.

Joseph stared at Rita Harper's solidified body. A limbless body. He remembered he had wanted to make Rita suffer for disobeying him after he had ordered her to kill Lainey.

She saved her instead.

So he literally tore her apart and buried her, leaving her to suffer a slow death as her body desiccated from lack of flesh and blood.

He grimaced as he reflected on his actions.

It was something only a monster would do.

He knelt down beside Rita and ran a finger through her strawberry blonde hair.

"I'm so sorry," he sobbed as he leaned over her. "You didn't deserve this. Your life was cut short because . . . because you met a monster. A monster and a coward and . . . and someone who's trying to do better. Who's going to do better."

He caressed her face. It could have been stone. Some dead walkers believe that one isn't truly dead until they are "one with the earth". That solidification is just a dormant state for the undead.

That they are still alive.

While there is no proof to confirm that dead walkers are still alive after desiccation and eventually solidification, there is no proof that they are indeed dead. And Joseph did not intend to let Rita suffer any longer than she already had.

He pulled out his silver pocketknife.

"I don't know if you're still in there," he said quietly, placing the knife tip on her forehead, "but if you are, your suffering ends today. Right now."

He dug the knife into her skull and sure enough, several seconds later, Rita's solidified body disintegrated into a pile of ash.

"Tell Nicole I'm sorry."

* * *

"This had better be important," Vivienne said, finally joining the group back at their spot on the wall. "Sam was about to tell me what 'aleumdabda' means. Apparently my skin is 'aleumdabda'." She smirked as she tossed Nox a quick glance. "I bet it means 'perfect'. Some people appreciate perfection."

Nox playfully scoffed at her.

"It is important," Fawn whispered. "Very important. There's a dead walker headed here as we speak."

The group became silent.

"Well . . . good thing we're here, right?" Vivienne said after the long silence. "In fact, it's the reason we're here in the first place."

"Everyone, look at me," Fawn said to the witches. They all gave her their full attention. "Addo Parere!"

The witches all stared at Fawn as if in a trance.

"I want you all to get out of here. Go home. Now."

Without a word, the group of witches turned and walked away.

"Fawn, what are you doing?" Lainey asked.

Fawn turned to Lainey, tears in her golden eyes.

"I'm saving them," she squeaked.

"What are you talking about?"

"Just trust me," Fawn said, wiping her eyes. "Now it's your turn. You have to get out of here."

"Are you kidding?"

"No, I'm not."

"I'm not leaving you here alone!"