Chapter 56 ~ I Love You

"Hold still," Laikin said in a gentle tone. "I'm going to apply medicine."

The fire cast a comforting amber glow over the guest room. Dylan sat very still, listening to the whisper of the flames burning in the fireplace while she let the truth sink in. Edwin was sick.

Laikin unscrewed the cap of the ointment. "You know, you should probably write to your..." His voice trailed off when he looked up, and his eyes clouded over as he took in her appearance.

The top of her nightgown had been torn, so that her bare shoulders were revealed. He wanted to look at her for hours. At the way the light from the fireplace seemed to lightly graze her skin, and at the way her hair looked down around her bare shoulders.

"Why are you doing this yourself?" She leaned her head back against the chair, sighing in displeasure. "Any servant could've done so," she muttered under her breath.

"I wanted to," he said, dipping his finger into the jar of cream.

There were red marks like scratches across her chest. With more gentleness than she expected, Laikin spread the cool cream across her cuts. It stung and she winced more than once.

"I'm done." As he pulled his hand away, he realized that the tips of his fingers were tingling. "Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere?"

Dylan looked at him and shook her head. "No, I'm fine. Thank you."

His gaze met hers, and for a moment, silence enveloped the two. Something in her eyes tugged at his senses. This was driving him crazy.

After some time, he said, "Dylan."

"Mmm," she said, shutting her eyes. Her body was tired, her heart was tired, and she didn't have the energy right now to stay awake.

"I don't want to do the right thing—I want to tie you to me." Laikin rose from the chair and lumbered a couple of steps towards the bed, reached out, and picked up a blanket. "I don't want you to run away from me."

But Dylan didn't hear his words. She was already fast asleep in the chair, breathing very deeply. He dropped to his knees in front of the chair and covered her with the blanket.

Hovering above her face he whispered, "Everything is going to be fine. Stay just close enough to me, that, wherever I am, I can always see you smile."

He brushed golden hair back behind Dylan's ear and kissed her forehead softly. For a moment he watched her in silence. After what felt like an eternity, he stood up. He stretched out his arms and made his way to the door.

"I love you," he said loud enough so only he could hear. "I love you more than you could ever know."

He slipped out of the room and shut the door behind him.

***

Dylan struggled to open her eyes, the lids so very heavy. She was beyond groggy, her mind clouded with a heavy fog. Rubbing her eyes furiously, she forced them open. 

'Where am I?'

Dylan sat up and winced at the bright sunlight streaming in through the open windows. For a moment she was disoriented. Glancing around the room, she suddenly remembered where she was.

'Oh, right. I'm at the Frederique estate.'

Gradually her half-opened eyes focused, and Dylan realized she had been sleeping on some sort of chair, and that someone was leaning over her.

"Laikin?" she murmured hoarsely. 

"Lady Dylan, it's time to rise," a gentle voice said. "You've slept all day."