Prologue

For as long as she could remember, Hanna — a young woman who lived a mundane life — yearned to be an author

Like any child fuelled with drive and determination, she envied the illustrious penmanship of her favourite writers.

To turn simple words on a page into a colourful, elaborate painting in her little mind. To encompass her heart with thousands of feelings, telling tales of grand adventures, curious mysteries, or heart-wrenching, wistful romances.

Her immense love for books served as a dreamy escape from the harsh, lonesome reality of the world around her. The things Hanna never experienced, she lived through the feet of the protagonists - while her own life remained bleak and lonesome all throughout her years of growth.

Even when the doctor reluctantly brought himself to tell her the bad news of her illness - Hanna did not shed a single tear. Even as she felt her body slowly deteriorating, her health fading away as blood and pain became her daily routine - she managed to stay strong.

Perhaps the death awaiting her would be an opportunity to finally make the most of the little time she had left.

Determined to ensure her dull life did not go to waste, Hanna wrote a story. Her final will - to leave a mark of her existence behind, through telling a tale of her own fascinations. To be able to let out all of the colours hidden deep inside her heart - on a white page with little black letters.

Hanna dove into her mind, typing away the story of an ideal world upon a blank screen. Nothing but the sound of her fingertips tapping at the keys of her laptop - like pelting droplets of rain - as her mind coloured in the empty, dark places in her heart with the vibrant pictures of a fantastical, prosperous nation. Even if it were only a pipe dream and she never tried writing as seriously as she did now - Hanna was determined to die as an author.

She entered a new world through the heart of her protagonist — a young orphan girl, like herself — who lived in the Laydel Empire. A vast, endlessly large powerhouse in the western continent, with lands spreading across the grassy acres, to the tallest of mountains. Ruled by a wise, kind and capable dynasty of sovereigns with the power to bring people together. Governed by the four duchies who swore loyalty to the imperial family for generations, the cogs and pieces functioned flawlessly in the right places to create one, magnificent body.

At least - until a mysterious crime took place amidst the palace's safe walls - resulting in the brutal deaths of the 24th Emperor — Theodore Jeramius Laydel. Even as the empire became void of a ruler, with only two baby princes who were far too young to inherit the throne, the four dukes of the empire took it upon themselves to ensure Laydel continued to function perfectly. Until the true heirs grew old enough to take control, the empire was left in the hands of the trustworthy allies.

Atlan, Cherliann, Ferventia, Einfred. These four houses worked in perfect synergy to maintain peace throughout the nation, whilst keeping one another in check. And amidst the territory of Duke Einfred - the fourth most powerful and kindest of the men - lived the true protagonist of Hanna's story.

Luscious hazelnut locks of hair and beautiful honey-brown doe eyes, which sparkled under the sun. Isabella - a young maiden who awakened a strong affinity for recovery magic at a young age. Originally an orphan who was taken in by a couple that ran an inn for travelling merchants or drifters, she quickly became famed throughout the homes stretching across the cobbled roads of her hometown.

News of her abilities to heal any wound, and cure even the most brutal diseases, spread quickly throughout Laydel like a wildfire. All the way until the Duke of Einfred caught wind of her reputation. It wasn't long until chance brought the Duke to happen across the little girl one day - when on a visit to the village where she lived. From the moment they met, he had been taken by this kind, radiant child - and later offered her a place in his family. It was then that Isabella became the adoptive daughter of the Fourth Duke, and the young princess of Einfred.

Of course, adjusting to her new life as a noble was difficult, especially due to the scornful eyes of the nobles around her. To them - she remained a mere commoner, and a target for their derisive gossip.

But the strong-willed young woman never let those things get to her. Slowly but surely, she worked her way into earning the favour of the nobles who previously remained cold toward her - earning their respect. Although - her continuous growth greatly enraged the Princess of House Cherliann, Irene, who had always been the cause of Isabella's miseries.

It was when she turned sixteen years old, that the romantic ordeals would enter the picture. Isabella's charm had not only captivated the hearts of all those who got close to her, but also the two most important figures in the entire empire.

The two princes - Daniel Carsius Laydel, and Mikael Laydel. Although they were both the sons of the late emperor, they were half-brothers with a great rivalry brewing throughout the course of their lives.

Daniel was the elder prince - a boy who earned the support of his people from the day he was born. He had been raised with greater luxuries and expectations placed upon him, compared to his bastard brother. As the child whom everyone wished to become the future emperor, the boy had grown up always striving to meet the expectations of those around him - never able to tell what he himself wanted.

At least, that was until he met Isabella, a girl who encouraged him to think for himself. As a ruler, he would grow stronger by following a path of experience he made for himself - and Daniel gradually came to understand that he would not be able to rule if Isabella wasn't by his side.

His feelings for her became undeniable, especially when they became mutual. Isabella and Prince Daniel fell deeply in love, fostering a warm and romantic relationship which strengthened not only them as individuals, but even Laydel itself.

But what would a romance story be, without the jealous and bitter antagonists? In Hanna's story - there existed two such individuals.

The most formidable of the pair – was Mikael Laydel, second prince of the empire. A young man who had always been cast aside and mistreated as the son of a prostitute - and no matter how many times he wished to be like his brother, Mikael Laydel knew he would constantly exist as nothing but a shadow.

It was only a matter of time before Mikael would be driven towards insanity - at the overwhelming jealousy and hatred he had toward his brother. Mikael wanted to take everything away from Daniel, and stopped at nothing to get what he wanted. Alongside the second antagonist of the story — Irene Cherliann, the spoiled daughter of the empire's sword who was obsessively in love with Daniel — he sought nothing but to separate the male lead from his heroine.

But in the end, even the cruel and murderous antagonist - the second Prince, Mikael, had come to grow feelings for the gentle and forgiving Isabella. Initially plotting to kill her, the heroine lit up a dark, forbidden place in his heart - and now, Mikael wished nothing more than for her to become his.

Hanna enjoyed writing out her story - during the time she spent between the hospital and silent home life, between her calculated meals and medicines, and between the pain, surgeries and scans that slowly took over her life. Although it was rather generic, her heart was content with the novel she pieced together, bit by bit. Hanna dreamt of Laydel, her characters, their stories and fates, always looking forward to continuing on with her work.

But alas, just as she found herself in the midst of writing her story to a climax one night, a sudden burst of pain climbed through the insides of her body. All she could remember was the gentle winter breeze that filtered through the window of her hospital room, and the sounds of the machines monitoring her vitals, going off. An endless sound drowning into an abyss, until her consciousness faded away, and her heart stopped beating.

Her life had come to an end, earlier than expected.

   Ah... She found herself thinking, on her last breath. I wish I could have at least ended that chapter...