Ch. 14: Repairing

*Two weeks later*

(11am and Alex and I are sitting in the living room in the new house)

"He's still working?" Alex asked.

"Since we've been discharged from the hospital Ian has been working consistently and barely home. After burying his father it took its toll on him, so taking over the company has just been a lot on him" I said.

"How are you holding up with everything?" Alex asked.

"It's hard but I'll be ok eventually, so what do you have going on. You're always taking care of us but I know you have to have some sort of a dating life" I said.

"I had my fair share of ladies and gents but none of the dates I've been on seemed right" Alex said.

"I'm sure, you'll meet the perfect person for you soon" I said.

"I hope you're right," Alex said.

(Ian came back home looking stressed and didn't say anything just went up the stairs)

"Have you two even talked, like really sat and talked after the hospital?" Alex said.

"Not really, he has gotten more distant, he barely wants to be around me, he stopped talking to our therapist" I said.

"He's holding everything inside, I kind of understand that, he's been doing that for a long time and he's reverting back to what he was used to" Alex said.

"I can understand that but what I'm afraid of is him going back to the man he's trying not to be," I said.

"You two will have to talk to each other, he may get angry and it won't necessarily be at you but with himself, his life. Men like Ian are often trapped in their own mind, " Alex said.

"You know you should think of becoming a therapist, you'll be really great at it, thank you for everything" I said.

"Maybe, well I should go and you need to talk to him so if you need me you know I'll always be a call away" Alex said.

(I nodded and we got up and hugged and I walked him to the door. I sighed and went upstairs to the right side of the house and knocked on the office door)

"You know I don't want to be disturbed," Ian said.

(I opened the door anyway and walked in and sat in a chair. Ian was hunched over his desk with his hands on his head. There was an unopened bottle of alcohol. I took the bottle away and sat it on the floor next to me)

"Ian we need to talk to each other, I can't stand us not really being together, you don't even want to be in the same room as me, I get you're grieving but don't shut me out" I said.

(Ian looked at me and sighed)

"Jess I'm sorry I really am but we can't have this conversation, not now" Ian said.

"Then when because if I leave it up to you at this rate we'll never talk to each other" I said.

(Ian got up from his desk and just walked out and went to our room. I got up and went after him)

"You can't just walk away every time you don't want to deal with something Ian," I said.

"Jess, I am frustrated and angry right now. It's not the time to push me," Ian said.

(I grabbed his hand to make him look at me)

"I understand that but you don't have to deal with what's going on alone, please just don't keep me shut out" I said.