one | new year, new lucy

Chapter One:
New Year, New Lucy

LUCILLE CARLISLE WAS only known to be the quiet bookworm in her high school. Now if you asked people she went to elementary school and middle school with, they would tell you immediately that Lucy Carlisle used to be loud and outgoing. That all changed eventually, and much like why the Grinch hated Christmas, no one quite knew the reason.

Starting her senior year, she was determined to break back out of her shell. She just hoped it would work.

She even picked out a nice outfit for the first day. Ripped mom jeans, a white crop top with little sunflowers on it, a mustard yellow cardigan to go overtop, and her white converse. Simple, but effective. She quite liked it.

She even did her makeup for the first day as well, then slipped on her glasses, some gold jewelry, and made her way downstairs where her dad was buttering toast for her to have with her fried potatoes and sausage.

"Morning, daddio," She greeted, smiling as she took her seat at the table.

"Good morning, sunshine. Ready for your first day of senior year?" Carter Carlisle asked his daughter, sitting her plate and some apple juice down in front of her. He kissed the top of her head and Lucy smiled at the affection.

"Totally, dad. Thank you for breakfast," she told him thankfully.

"Of course, anything for my sunshine," Carter insisted. Lucy and Carter shared a smile, but when she looked back down at her plate to dig in, her father continued to stare. It was uncanny how much Lucy looked like her late mother, and it broke his heart to know that she couldn't be there to see their daughter off to her first day of Senior year.

Not that it would make much of a difference to Lucy anyway. Her mother wasn't fortunate enough to be there for any of her daughter's first days of high school. Senior year was just another chip off the old block.

When she was done eating, Lucy rose from her seat, rushed to the bathroom, brushed her teeth, then grabbed her backpack, gave her dad a kiss on the cheek, and headed out to her car. She pulled into her designated parking space and pursed her lips. Taking a deep breath in and letting it out, she turned off her car and got out.

Lucy made her way inside and made her way to her locker. She opened the door and started to put her things away. She felt a presence beside her and Lucy glanced around door and then quickly looked back in her locker.

EJ Caswell was at the locker right next to her's. EJ Caswell as in the guy Lucy has been crushing on since the fifth grade. That EJ Caswell. Their last names were alphabetically right next to each other. She should have known he would be at the locker next to her's. He was literally every year.

Also, Lucy and Ej used to be really close. They haven't been for a while due to... reasons, but they were close at one point. Their moms were best friends in high school, and their dads worked together. She shouldn't be so nervous around him, and yet... she was.

"Hey, Lucy," EJ greeted, seeing the short blonde beside him. Lucy looked up and over at EJ with a quick smile. Her heart began pounding in her chest.

"Hi, EJ," her voice was soft and EJ smiled warmly when he heard her actually speak for once. He hadn't really heard her voice since the last day of eighth grade when she was skipping through the halls singing Here Comes The Sun at an abnormally loud volume for the middle school hallways. After that she wasn't the same.