Alternate Epilogue

Amara's POV

"Granny!" Kennedy yelled, running over to me and wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Hello dear," I laughed, squeezing her tightly as she giggled.

"What about me?" I heard someone say from the kitchen, and I smiled as I watched Kennedy run over to Luca, who picked her up in the air and twirled her around.

"Kennedy, be careful please." Evelyn said, walking over to me to give me a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I'm not that old," I heard Luca explain.

"Dad, you have a chair in the shower." she said, crossing her arms at her chest.

"Hey, I get tired easily."

I laughed, walking up to Luca to put my hand on his arm, "Where's your brother?" I asked Evelyn.

"Probably sleeping with some chick," she said, and I covered Kennedys ears.

"Shhh, don't say that in front of her," I whispered loudly, making Luca chuckle beside me.

"I'm here, I'm here," Jack said from the front door, handing me a bouquet of flowers.

"Is this supposed to make up for how late you are?" Luca said, and I rolled my eyes.

"It's fine, they're beautiful." I smiled, "thank you for coming."

Jack smiled, antagonizing Luca, "you're welcome mum."

I put the flowers down on the table and kissed Kennedy on the top of the head.

"Come on, brunch is getting cold."

✻ ✻ ✻

"That was delicious, thank you," Evelyn said, placing her fork and knife down on her plate. "What do we say Kennedy," she asked her, helping her put her fork down.

"Thank you granny," she said quietly, and I smiled.

"You're welcome sweetie," I said, watching as a smile formed on her face.

I sat up from the table, grabbing my plate.

"No, mum we got this." Evelyn said, glancing at Jack who was typing on his phone. She nudged him roughly and he cleared his throat.

"Uh- yes, we got this," he said to me, and I smiled to them as they grabbed the plates.

Luca and I walked over to the patio door, opening it to reveal fresh air.

We took a seat on the wooden swing on the side, our gazes on the flower field ahead of us.

"Jack's been lazy with the mafia," he said to me, grabbing my hand in his as we smelled the lavender.

I sighed, looking over at him and squeezing his hand, "It's hard for him, he was just like you, you know." I said smiling, and I saw him roll his eyes.

"I wasn't that bad, plus I had you to worry about."

"Sure," I chuckled, and he laughed along with me.

"He'll get there, it'll take time," I said to him, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"I know," he whispered as I put my head down on his shoulder, his hand going over the top of it and playing with my greying hair.

We watched as a group of birds flew by in the sky, the silence surrounding us as we took in the moment.

I felt him kiss my head and resting his head against mine.

"I love you," he whsipered.

I smiled, leaning into him more, "I love you too."

The door opened, revealing Kennedy running through.

She jumped onto us, making both of us laugh as she wiggled her way through the large chair.

She rested her head against Luca's shoulder as I rubbed her back, all of us looking at the flowers ahead of us.

"I love you granny and grandpa," she said quietly, "I don't want you to die."

Luca and I both looked at each other and gave a warm smile to Kennedy.

"It will be a while before we're gone," I said to her, wiping the tears that were falling from her eyes.

"And when we're gone," Luca started, "we'll be in here," he pointed to her chest, where her heart was.

I heard her giggle when he started to tickle her, her legs thrashing around as she squirmed.

All of us laughed, and I gave her a tight hug, "we love you too, always and forever."