Past (I)

Hastinapur, 7 years ago,

Two small kids were huddled near the wall of a Gurukul of Hastinapur. This Gurukul was mostly for the kids of local Brahmin boys who belonged to middle-class families. In Hastinapur there were several Gurukuls but the schools were based on the castes and the social status of the families. The two boys stood near the wall of this one as this school, had less security and present in a remote area where no one could notice their presence. 

The guru was teaching the boys about Vedas and the children were also repeating what he was saying. The two boys outside placed their ears in the wall to listen to the lecture properly. After the class was over, the boys ran from there before the students came out.

Hastinapur's rules were strict. The royals were proud of the laws as according to them these laws were essential to maintain the social balance and due to these laws they thought that Hastinapur became the perfect and prosperous kingdom. The upper-class citizens had no problems with the strict rules as most of the laws were made dor their favor. But to the citizens who were at the lower level of the hierarchy, these rules were suffocating their lives and took away the basic rights of their survival. The lower caste peoples were deprived of educations. They were only taught that professional skills which were determined by their birth. Intercaste marriages were strictly prohibited and death sentences were given to the offenders. Even the lower caste people were not allowed to enter the temples, got water from the same water source that the higher class people used. The poor and deprived ones lived in the villages outside the city. They had no proper schools or medical facilities. Due to their ignorance, the upper-class people always exploited them. But still, the poor citizens could not say anything as since childhood it was taught to them to obey all the orders of the rich people.

But there were some who even after facing all the suppression, had the audacity to rebel against the social norms. These two boys were those who were questioning the illogical rules. They really wanted to know that was it really God's wish to torture the lower castes. The elder of these two boys was Radheya or Karna the eldest son of Charioteer Adhirath and the youngest one was his brother Shon. Adhirath was a charioteer of Mahamahim Bheesm. As Adhirath worked for the royal family, he had a steady income. Though it was not much but at least he could feed his family. For outsiders, Hastinapur was a prosperous kingdom. Anyone who was new could be astonished by the beauty and display of the wealth of the capital and the major cities. But as no one noticed the darkness under the lamp, no many people were familiar with the poor conditions of the workers or servants. Many people could not afford three proper meals a day. But still, they had to endure as there was no one to listen to their problems.

The two sons of Adhirath, since childhood had a knack for education and archery. They also wanted to learn new things, Veds, Shastra, weapons. But due to their social status, they were not allowed to go to school. So they invented a technique. They used to stand outside the Gurukuls and listen to every lecture. Radheya since childhood had a photographic memory. Whatever he saw or heard, he could exactly memorize it. Though this was a risky thing as if anyone found about their planning, they would be severely punished. But the young blood of the two brothers was ready to take all risks. In fact, they also secretly watched the soldiers practicing to learn weapons. Till now no one caught them but they knew they had to be very careful.

Today after listening to the lectures both the brothers went to the forest in their secret meeting place. There was a lake inside the forest near which inside a cave they used to study, hiding from the prying eyes. They used to write whatever they heard from the gurukul and used to study there. They also secretly practiced archery, sword fighting. Both of them wanted to learn more but they knew without proper training that was not possible. 

Shon, 'Bhai, how long will we just stand outside the gurukuls or training centers to learn? We cannot get proper education just by listening to the lectures or observing the soldiers. We need a Guru.'