Wattpad Original
There are 37 more free parts

revelation

noun ~ a surprising previously unknown fact that has been disclosed to others

"What does he mean?" I asked.

I turned my attention towards Pollux this time since he was giving me a wary expression now. He shifted his weight, glancing around the room as he mulled over his words.

"It's not one hundred percent certain..."

"What isn't? What's going on?" I asked. "Please just come out with it, I'm getting tired of all this new information."

He nodded and pursed his lips. "Our line of Lycans have never bred across other species... Over five hundred years, there are hardly any of us. Our parents simply bred with another Lycan line and that's it, there's no one else but us. Our grandparents have been around for five hundred years.

"There has been only one rumoured case in Lycan history of a mate being found in a different species and that came from our cousin's bloodline. The werewolf was Beta blood who marked her Lycan mate and sent him into an unwaking coma. Eventually, when she passed away from the heartbreak he woke not knowing that so much time had passed and she had died. Supposedly the healer experimented and found poison in his bloodstream, so they believed the mate mark poisoned him. They kept it very secretive, it is only rumour..."

"But that surely won't happen to me right? Like that's just unfair, why would the Moon Goddess do that to us? Give us mates and then kill us?" I grumbled.

Pollux gave me a tight smile. "It is rumoured. We do not know the full extent of why her marking him did not work."

"Well, what do you believe?" I asked.

He hesitated, glancing at Phoenix briefly. "Honestly? ...I believe they were not moon mates or they had bad blood and were cursed because of it. But many believe it was due to the species mix. You know as we all do when you mark your mate you share each other's life source... A Lycan is stronger and so being bitten by a werewolf weakens them when the wolf takes their blood through the bite... So rumour believes that the werewolf took his life force completely and caused him to become comatose... But like you said, why would the Moon Goddess do that to them? She created us and created mate bonds to strengthen our community. Our whole lives seem to revolve around mates."

"Maybe..." I looked down at my hands. "So even if we did mark each other, it could still happen... we wouldn't know for sure until it happens."

I pressed my fingers into my eyes, trying to absorb all the information from the last hour. It was hard to base my mate bond on rumour. I heard chairs creak as someone shifted their weight and the room fell into silence. Phoenix's scent suddenly grew closer and I felt his hand grasp my wrists in his own.

I found him squatting in front of me, his sad hazel eyes looking up at my face. He studied me silently for a moment, keeping my hands in his grasp.

"If we ever got to that point, we would have to decide together Nova. I'm not doing anything without you anymore." He muttered.

I felt tears build in my eyes, the stress of my very being was overwhelming. I had so much to understand. I was a Lycan, I was cursed, I had a twin brother who thought I was dead all my life,  and the fact I might slip into a coma if I was to be marked.

Phoenix dropped my arms and his thumb came up to cup my cheek like it always did. He smiled gently at me, his thumb rubbing away the silent tears. He had changed. He was back to the gentleman I first met. I wish I could just jump in his arms and act like nothing ever happened. But I couldn't, I felt hurt by him keeping me strung along; for keeping me in the dark.

My hand came up to hold his against my face and I breathed a small sigh to calm myself down. The warmth of his touch helped soothe me, even Cel purring in contentment at his kind gesture. He was there for me, right now when I needed it. I just wish he was there for me always. He had proved he was on the sidelines these past few months, but he allowed me to think I would be rejected.