Jem: Bruises and Heavy Hearts [edited]

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Bruises and Heavy Hearts 

Jem

Ellis Chan was a massive bitch.

She made me want to strangle somebody.

Kick a wall.

Be a better person.

Shit like that.

My annoyance faded as I watched her tiny, petite frame slinked off into the distance, carrying the mop as she disappeared into a corner to start on her cleaning. Her words echoed as she regarded me petulantly just a few seconds ago, her eyes wide with disgust, defiance...and hurt?

"Just what the hell is wrong with you?"

Oh, where do I even began with that question.

I gazed at the toilet door in resignation, tugged the gloves on and pinched my nose as I head into the boy's toilets. The cracked mirrors displayed me walking onto the dirty, sodden linoleum tiles as I carried a bucket with some old rags and cheap bleach. The smell was horrible, rancid with urine and something else that I didn't even want to find out.

Sighing and breathing the smell as my eyes watered, I picked up a rag, filled the bucket with water and bleach, then began cleaning up the mirrors. The broken mirrors were filled with childish graffiti annotated by the sophomores, writing shit like who had the best ass or tits on the edges in red, scrawly Sharpie. At the corner of my eye, I froze at scrubbing off Tabitha's Kay tits are amazing and spotted someone had written: Secretly Sexy: Ellis Chan.

Un-fucking-believable.

Ellis Chan fucking qualified?

Since when?

Well, I guess she was attractive- there was no doubt it. She was not a total dwarf. And yes, she was not tall or had incredibly long legs like Calista Dames or shiny blonde hair like Astrid Gilbert. Nor was she as well-endowed like Tabitha or stunning like Savannah Di Pierre. She had her strengths- her pure, faultless complexion which was white as rice, her twinkling dark eyes and her smile was quite nice but other than that, Ellis Chan was kind of a bitch and I didn't see why people find her attractive. 

Sure, she was smart and she was a 'challenge' to 'possess', which was some kind of male anti-feminist campaign I was starting to become disillusioned with, because she wasn't the type who put out but she was also shallow, vain, selfish, entitled, self-absorbed, uptight and a bossy know-it-all who thought she was all that just because she was some trust fund rich kid who could sail through advanced trigonometry. 

Honestly, she wasn't that great of a person. 

Bored out of my mind, I slowly and laboriously used the standard metal scraper to chipped off the disgusting chewing gum stuck to the edge of the sink. When it finally came off, I sighed and scooped it up. God, I need something. A joint. That would do. I needed one right now. Taking a break, I ducked into one of the toilet stalls, opened my backpack and pulled out a plastic Ziplock bag from a zippered compartment. I rolled myself a joint as quickly as I could and held the smoke in my lungs, my mind easing up.