19 | the cottage

The new Levi Squad arrived at their destination, a small cottage concealed deep within the woods appearing into their line of sight. Stopping at the stables, Taryn hopped down from her horse, landing on her feet as she stared up at the place they were supposed to stay in for the time being.

"Tie them up properly, we won't have time to look for new horses if they get lost," The Captain ordered them in a stern voice, glancing over his shoulder as he made his way over to the cottage's entrance. "Let's go."

"Yes sir!" They chorused, the group proceeding to tie the leashes into tight and secure knots. Up until now, Taryn still couldn't believe that she was now officially part of the new Special Operations Squad, as she knew that honor was only reserved for the best of best in the Scouts. She was desperate to make an impression and to do a good job, much like all the others.

She finally got her hands to shop shaking from the nerves, securing the knot before patting Eros on the head. He then nudged her head in affection, making her smile. It had been a long time since she was able to see the horse, so she had been delighted once she found out that she was allowed to bring him along on their little trip.

Sparing Eros one last glance, she ran over to catch up with the others, all of whom were silent and nervous at the prospect of working alongside Humanity's Strongest Soldier. Even Sasha and Connie, who would normally have a hard time keeping their mouths shut for any longer than minute, were being unusually quiet. It didn't help that Eren had just told them about how scary the Captain could get when made angry, his warning only adding to the overwhelming fear they were feeling at the moment.

She felt someone's hand loop through her arm, and she turned to see Sasha, looking frightened. "I'm wondering if this is a good choice," The girl muttered out, her eyes widening in fright. "Should we make a run for it?"

Connie then appeared on her other side, clutching unto her free arm tightly. "Count me in."

The two were holding unto her as if their lives depended on it, their heads blocking her view, making breathing a little bit difficult. "I can't breathe."

"I can't either."

"Honestly, I feel like I'm about to faint."

Gulping, the three made their way over to the cottage, trailing behind the others. Ahead of them, they saw Captain Levi crack open the doors to the inside, the creaking sound it made sharply cutting through the silence that had enveloped them. He then lifted up a hand, beckoning for them to enter.

Stepping into the room, they glanced around, eyeing the place. The cottage, though small from the outside turned out to be quite spacious, with a living area to their right and a dining room to their left. Up ahead was the entry way to the kitchens and a secluded hallway that led to four doors, which they assumed were the bathrooms and the bedrooms. The place had a rustic and cozy vibe, the homey decor and warm wood tones making it all the more charming.

Captain Levi surveyed the room along with them, clicking his tongue once he caught sight of the dirt that had started to accumulate, most likely due to the years of abandonment. Moving closer, he ran a hand through the empty dining table, looking disdained as he saw the thick layer of dust that coated his fingertips. The man frowned, before proceeding to wipe it clean with a handkerchief.

He turned back to them, an expectant look on his face. "You will be staying here for the time being, while I'll be in Trost for three days. Some soldiers will come here to check on you every now and then. And I expect this place to be spotless when I get back."