Chapter 49

The meeting Kasser had called Marianne was a private one. Marianne was not unused to these kinds of meetings, being one of the King’s most trusted staff members and all, but the slightest change in routine was enough to set her on edge these days. She had to admit—these were her most trying times.

“Did you show it to her?” Kasser asked even as she entered.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“And?”

“She does not remember, Your Majesty.”

“She didn’t recognize Count Wacommbe?” Kasser clarified. There seemed to be a hint of surprise in his tone.

“Yes, Your Majesty. She did not recognize him and did not realize that Count Wacommbe is at the Holy City.”

Kasser had summoned Marianne to discuss the portraits she’d just shown to Eugene. These portraits looked easy, but time and money were spent to bring them about. To draw the portraits, skilled and reticent artists were required to be secretly recruited. Then, an equally adept and reticent person would provide the description for the artists. This required financial resources and accurate information, therefore the help of the King.

At first, Kasser disapproved of her request. He did not want to pressure the Queen, but Marianne had strongly insisted.

“Your Majesty, things tend to go out of control the more you try to control it. I believe it is best to lead the Queen to recall her memory slowly.” Marianne had advised.

Kasser inevitably approved her request but was unhappy that the first portrait she chose to show the Queen was Count Wacommbe’s.

Count Wacommbe was a regular guest of the Queen. They met during their time in the Holy City. Even more, he was the Queen’s dealer for antique books, a deep obsession with Jin Anika. Marianne was certain the Queen would be able to recognize this man.

She did not recognize him? The King let out a sigh of relief. This was the result he had been hoping for.

“Did the Queen look as if she was trying to recall something? Do you suspect she was hiding anything?”

“I do not know, Your Majesty. If I may, has Your Majesty sensed any progress with the Queen? You have been spending a lot of time together these past few days.”

Kasser was speechless. Yes, he spent every night in the Queen’s chambers. No, he was still unprepared for a confrontation. He had spent a greater number of nights with the Queen in the last three to ten days than he had over the last three years.

However, he had nothing to tell Marianne.

The hours he spent with Eugene, he spent learning her body. The moment he entered her room, he would sweep her into a passionate kiss. Soon after, he would find himself climbing on top of her…

The nights he spent with her were too short, and it was impossible to spare a minute of conversation. He would enjoy her until she would push him over, begging that they rest in peace.

Yet, it seemed like the time they shared was worthwhile. Kasser now knew her better. He could now distinguish Eugene’s facial expressions – the glint in her eyes when he kissed her, the squirms when he caressed her, her flushed face when she peaked, the languid one when she was spent. And, if she was annoyed, he had to keep his hands to himself and let her sleep. Though they’re merely expressions, to him, they were the windows to understanding her. Perhaps, even getting closer?

Kasser put aside his emotions and wore an unreadable expression as a front to Marianne. He could not explain any of the scenes that were going through his head. It was better that he rather looked concerned.