Chapter 28: Spring Break

Spring Break. I would hear from colleges in the next couple weeks as well, and that scared me. It's like I was waiting for fate to send me letter saying: "Your future is looking bright!" or "Lol guess what? You don't have a future!"

Erin and I avoid each other for the most part, so I'm usually the third wheel when it came to hanging out with my friends. Kat and Axel could never keep their hands off each other.

The only form of contact I had with Theo was when a man in a black suit asked for my phone and I obliged. He was sent by Theo apparently, and I believed him because I just didn't care anymore. I mean, he returned the phone back to me a couple days later so at least I still have a phone.

Nonetheless, I was laying on my bed, looking up at the ceiling. You would think I would be considering the FBI offer or whatever the hell that even was, but honestly I wasn't even sure I wanted to go into that field. Although I had to admit, I did enjoy myself when trying to catch Oliver. I doubt that involves anything to do with FBI work. But hey, I wouldn't know.

But the number on that business card did.

A knock on my door startles me and snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Teagan?" I hear my mother's voice on the other side of the door.

"Yeah?" I call from my bed.

"Your friend Julia is here to see you."

I try to process the name and only come up with: Why in God's name would Julia be here.

"Oh, uh, come in." I say and the door opens.

"Hey there old friend," Julia grins and puts her hands on her hips. My mom closes the door and I'm now alone with Julia, sitting on my carpet with her hands still on her hips.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" I ask as I sit up.

Julia smirks. "Theo sent me the money and now I can move out."

I raise an eyebrow. "You were serious about moving out?"

Julia gives me a bored look. "Of course I was serious. Anyway, I wanted to go apartment hunting today."

I sigh loudly. "Okay great. What does this have to do with me?"

Julia pushes herself up off the ground. "My parents don't really know about the me moving out thing yet. I can't go with my friends because they aren't really my friends and will rat me out. I consider you a... Friend. So why not?"

I stare at her for a couple of moments. "Hold on," I stand up and cross my arms. "You 'consider' me a friend? Julia, what is this all about? What do you really want?"

Julia sighs and runs a hand through her hair. "I want you to come with me. Listen, like I said before, I don't have that many friends. I mean I do, but they aren't real. You're... Sort of real. If that makes sense. I kind of need someone." She looks down at her feet. "I don't want to do it by myself."

I still didn't believe all we were doing was apartment hunting, but what really did I have to do? Kat and Axel went to the beach together and after the kind invite I turned it down. It's cold on the beach anyway.

"Fine. I'll go."

Julia claps her hands and opens my bedroom door. "Wait.. You aren't going out like that are you?"

I guess not.

****

Looking at expensive apartments was fun for the first two places we saw, but after the fifth my feet were killing me and I wanted to shoot myself. Julia seemed excited about all of them, but I couldn't blame her. These were pretty gorgeous, especially with the views they all had.

But I was just about done when Julia admitted we had one more to go.

"Julia, come on," I groan as we exit the taxi. "This is ridiculous. I thought you meant like three apartments. Not six or seven."

Julia waves me off. "Stop complaining. Come on, wait until you see the lobby." She says giddily and I mentally groan again.

We enter through the spinning doors and into the plaza. It seemed more like a hotel than an apartment building.

"It's both," Julia says like she read my thoughts. Then she turns around. "Teagan, do you know where we are right now?"

I look around and I see an enormous crystal chandelier and leather sofas littering the lobby. "No, I don't." I say in a confused voice. "Why?"

Julia sighs and crosses her arms. "Did you see the name outside of the building before we walked in?"

"Obviously not, Julia. Or else I would know where we are." I say a little annoyed.

She gives me a blank stare. "We are at one of the Bartholomew Hotels in New York City."

My eyes go wide as I look around, instinctively looking for a certain person. But he wouldn't be here.

"Uh, okay?" I try to answer unfazed.

"I'm not an idiot." Julia says. "I know what went on between you two. And I also know he's here, and you should talk to him."

I actually laugh at this. "Yeah, I don't think so." I look around again. "Was this whole search for an apartment just a part of your plan go get me here?"

Julia rolls her eyes. "No, of course not. Why would I waste that much time? I thought I would kill two birds with one stone."

"Well, sorry to disappoint," I say and glare at her. "But I'm leaving. He hasn't contacted me, so why would I want to reach out to him?"

"Because you basically rejected him and told him to screw off." she gives me a sad look. "Teagan, I sort of understand why you think you can't be with him, but you're wrong. You know how rare it is, especially in Theo's as well as my world that something real and genuine actually happens? Do you think my mom actually loves that old bag?"

I open my mouth to respond, but decide against it.

"I suggest," Julia says. "You should stop letting Erin rule over your life."

I cross my arms. "What are you even talking about? We aren't even friends anymore!"

"She was a horrible friend!" Julia argues. "Erin dictated your life. And now that you cut her loose, she still controls your decisions."

I could have argued with her, but as her words slowly sank in, I realized she was somewhat right. Erin always told me what to do, and I always listened. I remember, not so long ago, we both liked the same guy. And this is a stupid example, but it's one nonetheless out of many. It didn't matter that I was closer to him, Erin convinced me to back off.

I guess Julia saw the look on my face, because a soft expression appeared on her own. "Just talk to him."

I stood here and listened to her speak, and she was even right in one case she presented. But it didn't matter if what Theo and I had was 'real', because it wasn't right. How can you truly love someone if they contradict who you are?

"Julia, you may be right, but I can't. I won't." I add and turn around and walk away.

"Teagan! Come on!" Julia protests but I pretend not to hear her.

"Teagan?"

That voice made me stop dead in my tracks. I shouldn't have turned around, but I did.

Theo was entering the building, and of course he had to be wearing a black suit that made him look very handsome. it didn't take me long to realize why. My eyes wandered over to the tall (and of course gorgeous) brunette on his arm.

I guess Julia was wrong about us, and I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt.

I smile at Theo politely before exiting the building. I had enough money for a taxi, I would make it.

"Teagan!" Theo calls as I try to flag down a taxi. It pulls up on the curve and I jerk open the door. This was my fault and it's not like anything was going to happen between us anyway.

"Teagan, please wait." I look behind me and see Theo walking over toward me.

"Sorry, I have to head home. Nice seeing you," I lie and slide into the back of the taxi and drive off into the city.